Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 27, 2014 - 12:56pm

Didn't someone offer you sex to get into his class?

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this October 27, 2014 - 1:31pm

Nope, that was Lidia's class.

And to be clear, I didn't accept.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 27, 2014 - 2:34pm

I said 'offered' not 'banged you to get into'!

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things October 27, 2014 - 3:01pm

That's how you get on staff, not into classes. Different standards.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 28, 2014 - 4:23am

Was that pun intended?

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch November 4, 2014 - 9:15am

But I do think it would be nice if those who already took a class would let those who didn't get in the new classes.

Anna Gutmann's picture
Anna Gutmann from Ohio is reading American Gods November 10, 2014 - 5:47pm

Just a random thought on a class idea. A huge part of being a writer for me is to engage in the community and give others reviews and critiques on their work. An effective critique/review is part of what helps turn a first draft into a polished, well-edited piece in the end.

What about offering a class on how to critique/review effectively in writing groups? This could help students learn how to balance positive vs negative feedback and be more clear with advice and how to apply it to the editing process.

You could take it a step further and also teach those who receive reviews apply those critiques to their work in the most effective manner possible.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies November 20, 2014 - 10:24am

I'm teaching my SHORT STORY MECHANICS CLASS again. Sold out the last two times, 25 slots.

Hope you can make it!

rachelkramerbussel's picture
rachelkramerbussel from New Jersey is reading Full Catastrophe Living December 2, 2014 - 12:58pm

Hello everyone - my first time posting here. I'm an erotica author and anthology editor as well as nonfiction writer. I'm teaching my erotica writing class starting February 12th (no previous erotica experience needed). My first just wrapped up in November, and already yielded one short story sale. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ping me here or at rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com.

TheScrivener's picture
TheScrivener from Seattle is reading short stories December 21, 2014 - 10:06am

Anyone have anything to say about Joshua Mohr's plot class?  I'm plot challenged and so this seems pretty appealing...

drea's picture
drea from Rural Alberta, Canada is reading between the lines December 21, 2014 - 7:01pm

@TheScrivener - Nothing but good things about it. It's a return class here for good reason and I have heard nothing but solid things about Mr. Mohr and his prose is tight. DO IT!

Cyma Rizwaan Khan's picture
Cyma Rizwaan Khan is reading Clusterfuck by Carlon Mellick January 12, 2015 - 6:43pm

One thing lacking is a poetry class. A class on free verse, dark poetry or anything at all would be great.

Another thing I'm waiting for is for the next Patrick Wensnick class. I couldn't do it this month. :/ Or a class by any bizarro author.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this January 11, 2015 - 7:51am

Cyma--Jen Fitzgerald taught a poetry class for us called WRITING THE SILENCE, which we're currently in discussion about bringing back. So expect to see that shortly. I've also been on the lookout for other poets who might want to teach.

Noted on Wensink. He's a great guy and a solid teacher--I'm happy to have him on the roster. I'll definitely keep that in mind on bizzaro. Rose O'Keefe, the head of Eraserhead, did teach a class for us, and it went very well. More soon on that.

Cyma Rizwaan Khan's picture

Thankyou!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies January 31, 2015 - 4:25pm

I'm teaching my editing class, "TRIM THE FAT" again this April here at LitReactor. We've even reduced the price. Hope to see you all there.

diana c's picture
diana c February 28, 2015 - 8:13am

Hi,

I'm totally new to litreactor. I signed up for the March 10 class, but haven't gotten any sort of confirmation email. Should I have? I contacted someone and they confirmed I'm in the class. I logged in and found that I am in the class. Guess I just expect something before the tenth. Should I get instructions? I have no idea what I'm supposed to do when the class starts.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this February 28, 2015 - 3:48pm

Diana - Log in the day the class starts--you'll have a private message with instructions, and access to the classroom. And feel free to reach out to me if you have any problems. rob@litreactor.com

Annie4242's picture
Annie4242 from New Jersey is reading Holy Water March 7, 2015 - 9:57pm

I'm also new to LitReactor.  Signed up for my first class, starting in 2 weeks.  The Choreography of Violence.

I'm a little nervous.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this March 8, 2015 - 4:51am

Annie--

Don't be nervous! John is an incredibly enthusiastic and engaged instructor, and there's no expectation here--all skill levels are welcome. Show up ready to work and have fun, and you'll be fine.

Annie4242's picture
Annie4242 from New Jersey is reading Holy Water March 8, 2015 - 8:08pm

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

Motor-Psycho's picture
Motor-Psycho from Montreal is reading Everything By Willeford March 23, 2015 - 5:03pm

D. Foy's Gutter Opera class sounds intriguing but utterly confusing.

Anyone take the class have feedback?

Richard the Heade's picture
Richard the Heade from Boston is reading As I Lay Dying March 24, 2015 - 6:23pm

@Motor-Psycho Took the class and really got a lot out of it. It delves into and breaks down some of the hows and whys of what we write and works to construct a whole new approach to writing in general, with a very organic take on the process. It helped me break out of a few bad habits that I'm sure most of us have suffered through at some point. D. is as good as they come as far as instructors, helpful and supportive, and brings an enthusiasm that tends towards the infectious. The one thing I think is key to the class, and I don't say this glibly, is to keep an open mind throughout. Be receptive, in other words, to the lessons and lectures, to the possibility of and willingness to change. That's what worked for me at least.

Motor-Psycho's picture
Motor-Psycho from Montreal is reading Everything By Willeford March 25, 2015 - 11:41am

Thanks for that.

retrovertigo's picture
retrovertigo from Texas is reading Gravity's Rainbow April 19, 2015 - 7:55am

Anyone have any insights to share about The Architecture of Fiction course?  I've taken a couple of others so I'm aware of the general way these things work, just curious to learn of anyone else's experience with it (is it new?) or thoughts.  I feel as though I could benefit from a delving or two into story structure, but the price is a bit steep.  Potentially worth it, to be sure.

Nathan's picture
Nathan from Louisiana (South of New Orleans) is reading Re-reading The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste, The Bone Weaver's Orchard by Sarah Read April 30, 2015 - 9:49am

LitReactor classes in action! Charon Coin Press interviews me here about my story “Dog Killer” in State of Horror: Louisiana Volume 2.

I wrote the first draft of this story in an online intensive taught by Jack Ketchum, called "Talking Scars"—he taught it at the Cult and here again at LitReactor. I can’t recommend these classes enough.

If you’re on the fence about taking a class, don’t be.

I’ve also met a number of great authors who I couldn’t have gotten this far without—cherish the constructive criticism of your peers as much as that of your teachers.

And Thank You everyone for the continued support.

@NathanBorn2010

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer May 6, 2015 - 12:15pm

It's going to hurt financially doing two classes in a row, but I am enrolled in both The Horror, The Horror and Going Dark. I kicked myself for not being able to do The Horror, The Horror last time around, and I can't pass up the opportunity to do noir with Whitmer.

Steve Weddle's picture
Steve Weddle is reading Marah Chase and the Conqueror's Tomb | Jay Stringer May 19, 2015 - 8:25am

@JackCampbellJr. --- I expect that Ben Whitmer class to be amazing.

SamaLamaWama's picture
SamaLamaWama from Dallas is reading Something Wicked This Way Comes June 2, 2015 - 7:07am

I'm registered for a class today (Perfect 10) but it's not showing up. Can someone look into it?

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this June 2, 2015 - 10:22am

Sama--Due to unforseen circumstances the class was canceled. Someone should have been in contact with you about that. I'll check and we'll let you know shortly.

klaut's picture
klaut from London is reading 52 Pickup June 8, 2015 - 1:59am

Just signed up to the Short Story Mechanics with Richard Thomas. So looking forward to it!

Amloki's picture
Amloki from Singapore is reading Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks September 13, 2015 - 6:17pm

Has anyone taken the Publish or Perish class with Tobias Carroll? Any thoughts or words of advice?

I'm on the fence about taking it as I'll be traveling for the first two days....and also cos I've never taken a story submission course before!

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig September 21, 2015 - 9:56am

Amioki - if you have access to the internet via phone or something similar, usually the first two days is just everyone introducing themselves and getting settled. I have not worked on that specific course, though, so maybe someone else can chime in and let you know if he is one of the few instructors that have an "early" first assignment.

As for being nervous because you've never done a course before... no worries! There's tons of support in the LR classrooms.

Amloki's picture
Amloki from Singapore is reading Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks September 30, 2015 - 1:58am

I skipped that class, realized that I should be taking the Emily Schulz class on finishing a novel instead, because that's what I need to do, finish my novel.

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons October 4, 2015 - 9:32am

I am so bummed that Richard's class is sold out.  I haven't been on Litreactor in a while and just noticed it. Hope to get in next time around.  It's just what I need right now.

rachelkramerbussel's picture
rachelkramerbussel from New Jersey is reading Full Catastrophe Living November 27, 2015 - 8:00am

For those possibly interested in my Between the Sheets erotica wriitng class, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Rachel, I've been writing erotica since 2000, have edited over 50 anthologies and had my work published in over 100 anthologies, including the (sadly defunct) Best American Erotica series, Best Women's Erotica, Best Lesbian Erotica and Best Gay ERotica. If you have questions about the class, you can email me at rachelkb at gmail.com with "LitReactor" in the subject line or PM me here. My next class starts February 11th and will be my sixth time teaching it. In addition to the lectures and assignments listed, I also give students over a dozen exlusive to the class Q&As with erotica writing professionals, including publishers, editors, agents and authors. I put a big emphasis on learning about the marketplace and submitting your work and have had several students sell work started in the class. We are trying something new with this class: an early bird discount. So it's $350 if you register by December 31st, or else $375 January 1st or later.

Humboldt Lycanthrope's picture
Humboldt Lycanthrope from California is reading Sing, Unburied, Sing November 28, 2015 - 3:56pm

Goddamn did Chuck and Suzy's Minimalism class go fast.

Ever since I heard it would be announced in November I've been checking for it every day. I was on LR late last night looking for it. Then I saw it this morning and it was already sold it out. It couldn't have been up more than ten hours. Talked to Holly and she and Repo didn't get in either.

Anybody have better luck and, be honest, did you have a heads up?

I hope they do another one in the spring.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this November 28, 2015 - 7:27pm

Humbolt--I'm sorry you missed it. I did annouce on Wednesday that it was going on sale Friday. As with all of Chuck's classes so far, I put it in the forums first so that community members would get first crack.

Given that this is a lighter commitment, I'm hoping to do it again soon, but a lot of it depends on Chuck's schedule.

Holly Bella Toschi's picture
Holly Bella Toschi from San Francisco is reading "Dance Dance Dance" November 28, 2015 - 8:40pm

Not sure exactly when Chuck and Suzy's class went on sale (27th, sometime? Black Friday, of all days, when most are celebrating Thanksgiving), but considering  a number of us learned about it from Chuck's and/or Suzy's classes, and expressed enthusiastic interest in the same, I'm more than bummed to have missed out since, like Humboldt mentioned above, we'd been waiting and waiting for the class to be posted on the site and kept an active watch for the same.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this November 29, 2015 - 5:45am

I gave two days advance notice that the class was going on sale, and left it exclusive to the forums for a period of eight hours. Neither announcement happened on Thanksgiving day.

There's a huge amount of demand whenever Chuck teaches, and you could argue it's also not fair for the same people to sign up every time he does. No matter what, someone's going to get shut out.

If you want, PM me and I'll start a waiting list, in case anyone drops out, and for the next session.

Humboldt Lycanthrope's picture
Humboldt Lycanthrope from California is reading Sing, Unburied, Sing December 5, 2015 - 8:58am

After looking over the syllabus for J. David Osborne's Bizarro Fiction Class I found myself unable to stop from giving LR my credit card number yet again.

Looks like it's going to be a fun one, and with craft exercises focusing on character and sentence structure it should be a great learning experience and place to hone my chops.

Anyone else taking it or have any thoughts on the genre of bizarro or the work and teachings of Mr. Osborne?

Mark E's picture
Mark E from North Carolina is reading Blessing of a Skinned Knee January 2, 2016 - 5:42pm

Rob,
I'm enjoying the back 'episodes' of the podcast. You guys are fun, Especially when Cath gets drunk toward the end of a podcast versus the beginning. She's my favorite. Well, Rob is witty too. Is there any way you can flip these message boards to give you current to past? This sucks having to scroll to 2016.
Regards,
Mark

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! January 22, 2016 - 9:08am

I just signed up for Ania Ahlborn's class! Looking forward to creating monsters :)

Humboldt Lycanthrope's picture
Humboldt Lycanthrope from California is reading Sing, Unburied, Sing January 31, 2016 - 2:59pm

@Voodoo, I think I'm going to take that one, too. See you there!

I think I'm also going to take David Corbett's character class as well. This shit is fucking addicting. I've taken online classes with Gotham and Writer's Digest University, but LR is the shiznit. An awesome web platform and a great community with so many cool people.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 8, 2016 - 2:22pm

Mark - if you click the red ( ___ new) next to the thread it will take you to the most recent post you haven't read.

Ekate's picture
Ekate from Ireland is reading The 100 April 25, 2016 - 8:42am

I'm on the fence about Gutter Opera with D. Foy as I will be also travelling (from the 4th to the 13th of May). It's exactly in the middle of the class but I should have access to internet and a laptop to upload files.

Anyone took that class? How is the workload?

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this April 25, 2016 - 12:15pm

Ekate--This is Rob, the class director. I posed your question to D. Here's what he had to say:

Tell them that they can do the work according to their schedule, and second, that I'll accommodate them plus or minus this day or that if they have difficulty dropping an assignment on time during the period they're traveling. As for the workload, it's entirely up to them. There's an abundance of reading—the lectures are on the long side—but that doesn't mean they must read them all at once or even all ever. They're meant, actually, to be digested over time. My hope is that the students will use the lectures as points of departure for meditations on art and creativity. The one thing I'd ask—and I'll ask this for all students—is that they do their best to respect their fellows by attending to their assignments, too. I'll give feedback, of course, but it's always nice in an environment like this—ie a workshop—to get feedback, which is support, from your peers. We all need all the help we can get, right? In short, students can take this course at their own pace. They'll have the lectures and the assignments in writing. They can return to them as much or little as they choose, and they can contribute to the course as best they can according to their own understanding of the materials. There are no right or wrongs in gutter opera!

I hope that helps!

Marco Filice's picture
Marco Filice from Hamilton is reading Adjustment Day- CP April 27, 2016 - 7:25am

Hey all,

I signed up to LitReactor a few weeks ago, and loving it. I'm already onto my second course (Concete Storytelling with Melissa F Olson is the first, Gutter Opera with D. Foy is next) and just want it all. For now, of course, I have to choose sparingly. I see many other courses that I'd want to take, but not sure that, if I miss them now, how long I will have to wait for them to come again. Are these courses on once a year, or will the same ones be available soon? Thanks

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this April 27, 2016 - 9:04am

Max--I like bringing instructors back for multiple classes--some of our regulars will teach up to four or five times a year. But sometimes instructors have to step away to focus on other projects, or scheduling issues mean we have to kick their next session down the road a little.

That said, it would be hard to "guarantee" when someone is going to teach again. I do try to get classes up as far in advance as possible--a couple of months, if I can manage--so prospective students can plan ahead.

Feel free to drop me a note here on the site if there's ever someone you want to work with and want to know if they're planning to come back.

I hope that helps.

Marco Filice's picture
Marco Filice from Hamilton is reading Adjustment Day- CP April 30, 2016 - 8:41pm

Thank you, Rob.

Something else which occurred to me: what about one-on-one mentorships?

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this May 1, 2016 - 9:12am

I'm thinking about something like that. Sadly the numbers don't really work yet--it has to be financially viable for us while also properly compensating the instructors--but I'm kicking around some ideas.