Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault January 28, 2015 - 11:23am

...what would you do? Assuming you could only go places you've been or seen. This is for research for a story.

RebeccaBe's picture
RebeccaBe from Arizona is reading Jesus' Son January 28, 2015 - 9:03pm

The roads would all be empty. I want to go to work and Boom, I'm there. I need a few groceries, and in an instant - there I am at the supermarket. It would save a lot of time.

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel January 28, 2015 - 9:15pm

I think initially, like anything new and novel, I would exploit it. I would go to places that once amazed me. Then I would turn it into something convenient. Then I would most likely go to places that troubled me in the past, or where things happened that are a source of depression. I would wallow there. I would stay and let it infest me. Eventually I would return to a normal sort of life, hopefully one that has come to peace with the past. Then I would attempt to create a new future that would be all about going to places that i'd never been.

The past holds intrigue because we can't get there. If we could, only the future would hold intrigue.

Carly Berg's picture
Carly Berg from USA is reading Story Prompts That Work by Carly Berg is now available at Amazon January 29, 2015 - 5:13am

I'd go back to the best parts of my childhood for a while. :)

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault January 29, 2015 - 8:47am

I like the idea of using it to revisit painful places, stay there for a while and come to terms with them. It would be crazy. In my story, I restricted it to only being able to go places you've at least seen in a photograph (to prevent the characters from zipping into a bank vault to solve their problems), and really the ability is "switching".

"...not actually moving. It’s more like…well taking one patch of space and switching it with another."

This includes objects, other people, and yourself. But the destination can't be somewhere you couldn't know. If that makes sense.

Octsober's picture
Octsober from Jersey is reading The Sandman Series January 29, 2015 - 10:48am

And suddenly I'm in Europe. Huh...

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault January 29, 2015 - 1:06pm

You'd go to Europe? I'd definitely go there too. By the way, I love the Sandman series. One of my favorite graphic novel series ever.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami January 29, 2015 - 2:59pm

Depending on how seen is defined, I would I would teleport to 19th century Japan or Holland. Maybe with some extra historical credit for Ante Bellum American Tennessee and Virginia.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal January 29, 2015 - 8:17pm

i'm confused- is this teleportation or time travel?

and, just to throw a curve ball, does it matter that the earth is moving when we do this?

Vonnegut Check's picture
Vonnegut Check from Baltimore January 29, 2015 - 9:10pm

Might be worth seeing what other writers have done with the topic. The novel (and movie based off it) called Jumper, comes to mind.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated January 30, 2015 - 5:04am

I'd get a job as a in town courier and try to avoid anyone finding out I could do it.

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault January 30, 2015 - 8:16am

Oh, no, sorry guys. No time travel. Just space.

You know, I hadn't thought about the fact that the earth is moving. Presumably that would affect where a certain point of matter is in the universe, right? And now I'm not sure if I SHOULD worry about that. The ability is: focus on one point of space--maybe the patch of air around your body, maybe the spot where a car is idling at a light, whatever--then bring to mind what other patch of space you want to switch it with and snap your fingers. Just like swapping puzzle pieces, if every piece fit where ever you wanted to put it. But I don't know enough science to really give any kind of logic past that.

Ohh, I didn't know Jumper was a book too! I saw that movie ages ago. In a way, I guess it was responsible for the teleportation seed being in my brain. Just barely sprouting now, though, with this story. Does anyone know of any other teleportation fiction?

big_old_dave's picture
big_old_dave from Watford, about 20 miles outside London, Uk January 30, 2015 - 9:07am

The this one comes to mind...The Stars My Destination

Blew me away when I read it. This came out in the 50's and considering that it's really got some ideas waaaaay ahead of it's time with bio tech. Kinda the birth of cyberpunk.

It's got the whole teleport thing, or "jaunte" from point to point, provided they know the exact locations of their departure and arrival and have physically seen the destination. Only problem is it completely cocks the gobal encomny up seeing as we don't need oil any more...

Also comes with the best opening chapter of a sci-fi in my book....oh and a great hiest as well

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault January 30, 2015 - 10:48am

Sweet! Thanks for dropping this here, I'm definitely going to look into it. I've been having a lot of cool ideas.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated January 31, 2015 - 5:59pm

Now is this I can teleport, or people can teleport?

Carly Berg's picture
Carly Berg from USA is reading Story Prompts That Work by Carly Berg is now available at Amazon January 31, 2015 - 8:18pm

Well if it's just space and not time, I wouldn't mind whooshing home right now rather than spending two more days in the car. Not very exotic as far as teleporting goes but I'll take it!

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault February 1, 2015 - 9:15am

Just you. Narrator discovers his older brother can do it and has maybe been using it to carry out hits for someone he owes money to.

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault February 1, 2015 - 9:20am

That would be nice, to cut out transit time. I feel like it'd make people really impatient though, or make me really impatient if I was the only one, getting used to that instant gratification. Like how the internet is affecting the way our brains process information, because it's all just a click away. Would it become too grueling to even just walk to the bathroom?

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 1, 2015 - 9:42am

I always thought a super power would be a little bit of effort, like doing 10 jumping jacks? Way easier than going to an airport, but if not the fiction gets weird (like why have hallways?)

If he can teleport and owes someone money aren't there WAY better ways to get cash than murder? Not as a ethics thing, but less likely to get police attention and less jail time if you get caught and easier to plan. Port into a money counting room at a large store in a state you never/seldom go (depending on rules of the teleport), mace someone, grab $60,000 real quick, and port out?

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault February 2, 2015 - 8:26am

That's a pretty valid point. 3/4s of the way through my first draft, it occured to me that to get the money he owes he could just teleport into a bank vault or something, which was why I tacked on 'only to places you've at least seen in a photograph', that way the conflict didn't lose all its air. But you're right, even with that restriction there're plenty of ways to get your hands on money. So I think I'm going to need to do some brainstorming. The brother needs to be responsible for an accident, a car accident, and that could be a hit for this dude, I mean he could be stealing money and carrying out hits for this shady guy. But the money he owes, there needs to be a reason why the characters haven't just raked in a bunch of cash. I'll figure it out. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for the effort, that makes sense, kind of how magic was in the Eragon series. Whatever impossible thing you do with magic, it drains you the same way as if you'd actually done it. The trouble is, with teleportation, it's like why even teleport if it's going to feel like you didn't? To save time? To be discreet? Yeah, that makes sense, but what if you're moving a car with it? Would that break your spine? What if you were sending something into outer space? How much would that tax someone? This stuff is so tricky, like how much to explain and how much to just let the reader infer?

Hannes Hummus Holmquist's picture
Hannes Hummus H... from Sweden is reading your stuff February 5, 2015 - 7:44pm

Redd just let it be a  bit broken. It's a first draft. No matter how much you tinker flaws will be there once you've grafted.

Here's my rambled thoughts on teleportation

First of all it's very relevant at what point in time you achieve this skill. So I'm gonna assume if I had it today.
Yeah of course the first thing you would do is abuse it.
Then try to mask it so nobody ever finds out. Teleport around the world and collect fake passports.

What can you bring in the teleport?
Can I bring a girl around the world to fuck me silly on every vulcano in an eyeblink? Do I get to keep my equipment and in that case how much equipment?
This all in ambitions on how to make money or success with your ports.
I mean can I bring ten kilo snow from Colombia to New Zealand in the blink of an eye?

Money?
Fuck money I'd burn it, spit at it, wipe my ass with it. Why the fuck would I want money when I can teleport?

After abuse and discretion I'd be ambitious.
How far into space can you take humanity as a space jumper is a thought that comes to mind, but that of course depends on that you'd ever dare to trust any government with the truth.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 5, 2015 - 8:36pm

That is why I strongly suggest have a standard amount it wears you down (10 jumping jacks, running a mile, whatever) so that there are obvious times it is a good idea.

@TripleH - Maybe you have over estimated how much you can get done with teleport?

"I'd like a number 2."

"That'll be $5.82."

"I can teleport!"

That wouldn't work.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal February 5, 2015 - 8:48pm

Why can't the guy just be extorted into doing hits rather than doing them for money? Either these guys die or I kill your mom or whatever...

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 5, 2015 - 9:38pm

@Thuggish - Why extort him into killing people if he has someone to kill his family?

Hannes Hummus Holmquist's picture
Hannes Hummus H... from Sweden is reading your stuff February 6, 2015 - 4:14am

Dwayne, no limitations except what the eye can be perceived has so far been nailed down.
I need a lot more restrictions before teleportation wouldn't make me silly rich in a heartbeat.

Agree with you though on the necessity of limitations. Aren't they kind of the axl all good sci-fi orbit around?

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault February 6, 2015 - 9:05am

Actually, that's a big part of the story: 'do this or I'll kill your mom'. It goes into more than that, the dynamics of a fucked up family, being corrupted by an impossible power, but a big part of my one character's motivation is that: 'I can take out your family if you fuck me over.' BUT, and I feel this is a big but, the guy he owes money to, turns out HE can teleport too. I've got it worked out WHY he can do it too, and why he has the one character doing jobs for him, but where I'm tripping is, why have this one character (the guy who owes the money) be responsible for a car accident if the bad guy/boss guy can do it too, and could just do it himself?

Wait. I just had a light bulb go off.

Let me ask you guys this. Obviously I can twist some logic around to suit my needs--meaning where there's magic, there doesn't necessarily need to be full scientific explanation, especially if the narratorer doesn't know that kind of stuff--but, what effect on the brain do you think long-term use of teleportation would have? Like I have this vague idea that it could wear down the brain after years and years, like some brain cells are killed each time or something. Does anyone have any scientific/medical knowledge to support or break that idea?

I agree that there need to be physical limitations. Maybe the effect on the brain could be part of that.

By the way, Hannes, you're absolutely right about the first draft-ness, but I over-think EVERYTHING. Also, technically, I've already done the first draft, and now I'm doing the second, more thorough version.

Is this totally dumb, for me to be brainstorming in a thread online? I like bouncing ideas off of people.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 6, 2015 - 10:14am

@3H - Yeah it could let you steal, but it seems like the kind of thing that will draw attention if you aren't careful.

@Redd - I feel like you have it backwards man. You have what you want to happen and you are twisting the world to fit the story and we've all seen that done so many times it is boring. Just come up with your rules and go for it logically. If that means you need a new plot, go for it. It is why Game of Thrones is so much more popular than almost anything out there; it doesn't follow plot logic. People can die, magic powers don't work in the one way that makes the story work and what not.

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault February 6, 2015 - 11:57am

Well said, Dwayne. I think I needed to hear that.

Hannes Hummus Holmquist's picture
Hannes Hummus H... from Sweden is reading your stuff February 6, 2015 - 5:52pm

It also sounds like you might be complicating your story line too much. You're on a second draft and haven't fully determined the full limitations of your special story ability.

My fantasy project spills out into black holes and info-dumps when things get to complicated and I haven't woven the net yet. So maybe look over your plot and ask you how much of it is necessary to build the core of your story.

Redd Tramp's picture
Redd Tramp from Los Angeles, CA is reading Mongrels by SGJ; Sacred and Immoral: On the Writings of Chuck Palahniuk; The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault February 9, 2015 - 8:25am

Nah, I've figured some things out. I have all of the super key stuff, so now I'm doing a new draft to see how it all fleshes itself out given more room. I mean, yeah, that's exactly what I've had to do, I was kind of overcomplicating it, but I had a spark. Been taking notes and brainstorming and some things have come clear about the idea in general.

Thanks, you guys have been a big help.