Brandon's picture
28% (7 votes)
audio
4% (1 vote)
Total votes: 25

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries February 12, 2013 - 9:15am

Smelly old library books for me.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. February 12, 2013 - 9:22am

I got a Kindle PW for christmas, and I love it.  I want to be able to lend the books out to friends more easily, but they don't all have kindles.  But, if it's just me reading the book, I really enjoy it on the kindle.  Then there are all the comic books I read through Comixology.  So, electronic is really my number 1 reading preference.

That being said, the last three books I've 'read' have been on audio.  I do a lot of walking and driving, so having a book on audio is a close second to electronic.

Strange that paper would be my third choice.  But, at this point in my life, books only take up space.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break February 12, 2013 - 9:34am

@bryan

I'm having the spacial issues, too. My shelf is packed with ARCs that I never got around to reading (and probably won't). Also, I just got a new iPad so I finally have a way to read e-books.

Matt L.'s picture
Matt L. from Texas is reading Tenth of December: Stories February 12, 2013 - 9:35am

I have an Audible account and enjoy audio books on long drives, but even with an hour commute I feel that I'm just getting back into the story by the time I have to get out of the car.

I love my kindle and don't mind reading on the ipad, but recently the books I've wanted to read have been less expensive in paperback than in ebook format. I love technology, but I also have a newfound appreciation for physical books.

My vote goes to paper by a slim margin.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. February 12, 2013 - 9:43am

Amazon just made a change to their CDs where if you buy the cd, you get the MP3s for free.  If they did that for books, my spending would be uncontrollable.  I really wish they could work out a way to do that.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break February 12, 2013 - 9:46am

Amazon just made a change to their CDs where if you buy the cd, you get the MP3s for free.  If they did that for books, my spending would be uncontrollable.  I really wish they could work out a way to do that.

I've had this discussion with my publisher once or twice.

Matt L.'s picture
Matt L. from Texas is reading Tenth of December: Stories February 12, 2013 - 11:53am

That would be a great distribution model. At least from the perspective of a consumer.

JEFFREY GRANT BARR's picture
JEFFREY GRANT BARR from Central OR is reading Nothing but fucking Shakespeare, for the rest of my life February 12, 2013 - 1:14pm

I can't go back to paper books now that I'm so used to my Kindle.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt February 12, 2013 - 1:20pm

I like having a physical book in front of me when I read, although I have listened to a few audiobooks since my commute to work is long.

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz February 12, 2013 - 1:24pm

Viva La Physical Media

I like records (especially that come with mp3 downloads) and CDs. I like the artwork. I like holding it in my hand. I like browsing a store for those.

So the same thing applies to me for books. I just like having it, turning a page, putting it on my shelf, packing in a bag.

Granted, I've never tried a kindle and I imagine at some point I may own one. From a practical space standpoint, so many books are one-time reads that may just take up space, so it's not bad to free up some shelf space for the books that are important to you.

I wish books had a deal where if you buy the first ed. hardback it came with a free download. It seems that wouldn't be expensive and serves the best of both worlds (this may already be happening for all I know).

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts February 12, 2013 - 1:31pm

I still prefer paper, because of some bookstore-digging compulsion. I browse shops for inexcusable amounts of time. I like the tactile feel of a good book, but really they are hell on my eyes. I got sickening headaches and eye pain for days just a few weeks ago after going on a reading binge.

I like e-readers, for their convenience and cool tech stuff, but I'm not entirely used to reading on it. I often forget that the thing exists for a while. And the type of books I like to read, especially since I have the B&N Nook instead of Amazon (and the small press guys sometimes think a Kindle version is all they need for e-books,) the selection to buy for my e-reader is nearly just as limited as in a physical B&N store. I do love the thing though, because my girlfriend doesn't sleep with tvs and lights and everything on, so when she'd stay over I would never sleep. Now I can pass out reading books when she's over and she's none the wiser.

I love audiobooks. If I had enough time, I'd probably want them to be my main source, for novels at least. Worst available selection, though, as well as price.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading A truckload of books February 12, 2013 - 1:44pm

Renfield, when I had my original ereader I had the same problem. I'd forget to charge it, then when I wanted to read it would be dead, so I'd charge it then, but forget about it again, etc. Now I have an iPad and I use it for lots of things, so I never forget about my e-books.

I still buy paperbooks, in part for the same reason you said--I love going and discovering books at the book store. I do have a space issue now, though, so I try to limit my purchase of paperbooks to books I really loved, or books by people I know. So I do end up paying for quite a few books twice, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I do like the idea of buying the paperbook and getting the digital download with it, but I probably wouldn't utilize it that much except in special cases, since I don't usually know I want the paperbook until I've read the ebook.

XyZy's picture
XyZy from New York City is reading Seveneves and Animal Money February 12, 2013 - 5:56pm

If cost weren't an issue, my preferred format would be personalized movie adaptations. I get to pick the actors/director/D.P./screenwriter, and none of those money-minded hollywood constraints; if Jeunet and Caro want to make a fifteen hour epic and blow up a small planet, I'll allow it. Then the finished product is beamed directly into my brain via cortical chip.

If cost were almost not an issue, then all of my books would be read to me by Isabella Rossellini while I lay my head in her lap and she gently strokes my hair. I may alternate this with Patricia Arquette and/or Morgan Freeman... but the hair stroking is not optional.

In the realm of realism, each format has its place in my life, and cost isn't really a consideration for me; aside from shelf space for books, because I can't afford a larger apartment.

I love books, hardback and paperback, the way they feel and fit on my shelf and in my hand. All very nice. I'd also have to buy two copies of each, one to keep pristine and read, the other to mark-up and underline and dog-ear and spill coffee on.

I love my kindle, the way it fits in my coat pocket on my daily commute to work. Consequently, I read my kindle a lot less in warmer months. I've tried other types of readers, but the original kindle with the e-ink and long battery life and no distracting wi-fi works best for me.

I love audiobooks, especially those read by an author with a distinctive voice; I've enjoyed all of Neil Gaiman's, Paul Auster's, and David Sedaris's audiobooks I have... particularly, but I've enjoyed others as well. I always trick myself into thinking I can multi-task an audiobook and end up listening to chapters over and over because I wasn't paying attention and was trying to play a video game, or practice scales, or read another novel at the same time, but if it's good, I don't usually mind.

I guess, if cost weren't an issue, I would prefer all of the above... but if I had to choose only one, I'd stick with paper.

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon February 12, 2013 - 5:31pm

I want both pbooks and ebooks! I love collecting books. But I really enjoy reading off of my nook more than a paper book now. But still, I want both!

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 13, 2013 - 6:02am

Paper, big time. My bad, trees.

Second place: audiobooks. And I quote Xyzy for the hair stroking, only Sam L Jackson would be my Isabella Rossellini. I wouldn't mind the extra mofo interjections.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters February 13, 2013 - 9:24am

I don't mind an electronic book.  And space is limited of course.  But there are some books I want to have in real live paper.  Books written by my friends, my favorite authors, ones on sale when I happen to be at the bookstore.  I like paper books mostly.

I have a Kindle and it's great for reading little things I don't care as much about.  When I decided to read The Hunger Games I got it on Kindle.  I wasn't invested in the idea that I needed to hold that books and see it on the shelf.  And I feel good about that.  Also something about paper and trees and a Lorax.

Sometimes I forget books when they're on Kindle.  Out of sight out of mind.  I guess it's a habit I have to get in.

But I'm leaning toward the idea of just winning the lottery and buying a bigger house so I can have all the books.