helpfulsnowman's picture
Community Manager
helpfulsnowman from Colorado is reading But What If We're Wrong? by Chuck Klosterman June 27, 2016 - 11:17am

Howdy,

My name is Pete, and I'll be acting as your Community Manager effective immediately. Or, I'll be doing the job immediately. Effectiveness probably won't happen right off.

This job doesn't come with a manual, but it DOES come with a CD insert for Dio's Holy Diver. While not helpful in managing a community, it's a big help lyrically.

That's just to say I'll be doing my best, and we're going to keep things great here. If you have any questions for me, ask here!

Also, we are looking to really pump up the Community Spotlight. This is a monthly column that goes up on LitReactor's main page, and it highlights any accomplishments by members of this community. Get a story published somewhere? Send me an update. Got a book coming out? Same. At this point we're really looking to breathe life into the thing, so I'm up for anything you want to send me. Just make sure it's relatively new and that it hasn't been featured before. Also, submission doesn't guarantee placement. More on this soon, but for now, any time you're logged in and looking at discussions, there's an orange button off to the right that says "Let us know." Click that and it'll take you through the submission steps.

Cool. Let's get back to having fun.

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. June 27, 2016 - 2:21pm

Thanks Pete. Nice to meet you. gsr

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life June 27, 2016 - 3:03pm

I, for one, welcome our new... helpful overlord.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! June 28, 2016 - 1:38am

Hello Pete (I enjoy your columns!)

Welcome to the community. Is it too early to ask if there's any news on planned upcoming community events... :)

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel June 28, 2016 - 5:46am

Aloha and welcome! I'm sure you'll do an awesome job.

I wish I did something worthy of the spotlight. Perhaps one day ....

helpfulsnowman's picture
Community Manager
helpfulsnowman from Colorado is reading But What If We're Wrong? by Chuck Klosterman June 28, 2016 - 11:20am

Howdy Voodoo,

Yep, we're going to be working on the Community Spotlight columns again. Hit that orange "Let Us Know" button off to the right of ay discussion thread and we'll get to work! We'll have more details about this forthcoming as well.

templewl's picture
templewl from China is reading The Red and the Black June 28, 2016 - 3:17pm

@Jose F. Diaz

"I wish I did something worthy of the spotlight.  Perhaps one day ...."

If shameless self-promotion doesn't work, try gratuitous groveling...Or a banner ad: "I'm Jose! Please, please, please give me attention!"

RFLMAO...

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life June 29, 2016 - 8:52am

Jose, I think you have an admirer.

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things June 29, 2016 - 9:30am

Hey all,

Thanks for the kind send-off in the other thread, Pete.

In the interest of transparency, I thought I would let everyone know that yes, I was the one to resign voluntarily (I've gotten a couple of worried PM's about it). Communities are dynamic, fickle things, and I believe it's important for the community manager to be one of the most excited people on the site. When things started becoming more routine for me, I knew it was time to let someone else take over.

Pete shows a lot of enthusiasm, and I'm excited to see where things go from here. And yes, of course I'll still be around. I don't love the site any less without a title. I also left the staff with my personal Batsignal, which is just a giant pair of rolling eyes, if they needed me to help out anywhere.

Congrats, Pete. Go do cool things:

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel June 29, 2016 - 9:33am

@ Joshua:

Sure, we'll call it that.

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. July 1, 2016 - 5:56am

Jordan Blum's picture
Jordan Blum from Philadelphia, PA is reading various novels (for review) and journal submissions July 7, 2016 - 10:41am

Hey, Pete! Welcome!

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. August 23, 2016 - 10:53am

Hey.

@helpfulsnowman! Over here. Pssst.

Does LitReactor have the capacity to allow participants to start a critique group inside the website?  When I took the U of Iowa's class last November, a MOOC called "How Writer's Write Fiction", groups within the larger organism, unexpectedly became the highlight of the course for me; the stimulation of a truly responsive critique group, inside a supportive environment. Critiques on LR at the moment move like molasses, and it can be frustrating for people who want a more vibrant experience. Members of the groups I belonged to strove to respond to critique opportunities for their fellows rapidly and in high numbers. It was mind blowing. It greatly enriched the community at large as well. JUST asking. gsr

helpfulsnowman's picture
Community Manager
helpfulsnowman from Colorado is reading But What If We're Wrong? by Chuck Klosterman August 24, 2016 - 10:33am

@smithreynolds

You know, I don't actually know if that capability is available or plausible, but I'm going to pass it up the chain and see what the folks in the high castle say. I think it's a really good idea, for the record.

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. August 24, 2016 - 11:22am

Thanks snowman. You are so helpful. Appreciate the response.

helpfulsnowman's picture
Community Manager
helpfulsnowman from Colorado is reading But What If We're Wrong? by Chuck Klosterman August 31, 2016 - 5:10pm

No problem! Also, thanks for making a new thread for this issue. Anyone interested in how it's going can find it here.