lkeener's picture
lkeener from NE Ohio is reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson among others February 7, 2012 - 9:16pm

I've been wandering around the halls for a bit - what a cool site.

I grew up watching I Love Lucy, wishing on a star and believing that one day I would find my prince. While stopping short of dotting my i's with little hearts, I was the epitome of starry-eyed when I arrived at college with my rainbow bedspread, notebooks and pens in tow (because rainbows made me happy). You can imagine my horror when I discovered the entire dorm mistook me for a cute little lesbian who just really, really comfortable with herself.  Life since then has rubbed off most of my naivete, I'm happy to say, and left me with a lot of writing material.

I have always been a voracious reader and a constant writer.  I've published a few short stores in magazines you've never heard of, done a lot of creative writing for marketing pieces and am the owner of one neglected blog, likely covered in dust and cobwebs by now.

I lean toward humorous writing - short stories and irreverant poetry - but haven't really found my voice yet. I can always use technical guidance - yet another reason I'm happy to be here.

Hmmm.  Could it be I've found my tribe???

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human February 7, 2012 - 9:26pm

Welcome!

I think Lucille Ball was and always will be the funniest woman in human history.

What do you write about?

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel February 7, 2012 - 9:49pm

Welcome to the mix,

There are a lot of really great writers in here and one really horrible one (this guy.) The Craft Essays help out so much. They are an invaluable tool for reference.

I enjoyed your intro and look forward to reading your work.

A few others and I may joke quite a bit, but I have yet to meet anyone on here who is malicious. Just have some tough skin for the actual reviews and this site could be just the thing you were looking for.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly February 7, 2012 - 11:49pm

Welcome to the site.  Have fun!

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones February 7, 2012 - 11:50pm

welcome, welcome...

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters February 8, 2012 - 6:12am

Welcome to the site!  I hope you enjoy it!

lkeener's picture
lkeener from NE Ohio is reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson among others February 8, 2012 - 5:18pm

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.  And the advice.  I want to make the best use of this site since it really seems like a goldmine if I can just figure out how to find everything!

What do I write, PandaMask?   Most of my writing has been blog posts about goofy stuff that happens to me like finding myself stranded without a shirt in a Macy's dressing room or my daily battle with squirrels who turn my dogs into puppy missiles on leashes or learning to use a shower chair after foot surgery.  Dippy stuff like that.

I have written serious articles/essays/posts/whatever that have induced some tears but maybe that's just because they were so poorly written. :)  I do like humorous writing best and read a lot PG Wodehouse, Erma Bombeck, Judith Viorst, Mark Twain.

Truthfully, you all seem a lot more sophisticated here.  I'm just hoping to bask and absorb!

lkeener's picture
lkeener from NE Ohio is reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson among others February 8, 2012 - 5:24pm

Ooh!  Ooh!  Averydoll - are you still reading "Room?"  It's one of my new favs!!

Wait.

I'll bet this sort of thing is discussed in another group, right??  Hmmm. . . off to have a look see at what other discussions might be going on around here. . . .

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters February 8, 2012 - 6:15pm

Yeah!  I am still reading Room!  I'm almost finished.  It is really good.  It started slowly for me - not the plt, but the reading.  It took me awhile to get into the 'mind' of the young narrator who doesn't speak exactly proper English, you know?  I found myself re-reading sentences two or three times.  But once you get used to it, it's gets easier.

Boone Spaulding's picture
Boone Spaulding from Coldwater, Michigan, U.S.A. is reading Solarcide Presents: Nova Parade February 8, 2012 - 6:19pm

Most of my writing has been blog posts about goofy stuff that happens to me like finding myself stranded without a shirt in a Macy's dressing room or my daily battle with squirrels who turn my dogs into puppy missiles on leashes or learning to use a shower chair after foot surgery.  Dippy stuff like that."

I would read that...

I am a bit tired of cynicism, poorly-executed irony, and 'transgressive' fiction...(oh, qualifier: "right now").

Welcome!

lkeener's picture
lkeener from NE Ohio is reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson among others February 8, 2012 - 7:21pm

Here you go, Boone.   Ignore the cobwebs, please.

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin February 8, 2012 - 7:23pm

hi.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 4, 2012 - 1:30am

Welcome to the pit.

Dave, what happened to the picture?

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly April 4, 2012 - 1:37am

This must have been pre-(Un)Official Lit Greeter.  Vintage Dave.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 4, 2012 - 1:39am

Oh well SHIT! I didn't even notice.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 4, 2012 - 4:54am

"Vintage Dave."

Total classic.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest April 4, 2012 - 5:14am

Welcome. Lucille Ball is the epitome of red heads. I've been on a warpath of red heads lately. :) Okay, off to have a glass of vitameatavegamin.  Enjoy the show!

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 4, 2012 - 5:16am

Question: Why are we necroposting on 8 week old introduction threads?

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest April 4, 2012 - 5:19am

IDK... Weird.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 4, 2012 - 5:22am

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 4, 2012 - 5:22am

I read that Panda!~ IT CANT BE UNREAD!

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly April 4, 2012 - 5:30am

I would guess Jasmine is a spambot that caught this thread and brought it back.

Just a guess.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 4, 2012 - 5:32am

Shayari makes it so simple, fill your emotions into it and guess what your love accepts you whole heartedly.In todays fast paced and stressful lifes,it is important to seek some sort of entertainment or stressbuster. Hindi Jokes are an easy way of releving Stress.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 4, 2012 - 5:34am

It would explain all the links.....hmmmm...deep thoughts

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 4, 2012 - 5:37am

Spamasubi

Bracchos's picture
Bracchos from Albuquerque is reading Translated Woman April 6, 2012 - 11:22am

I just realized, I've not "formally" introduced myslef. I'm Bracchos (Joe). I came up with the name because I'm slightly dyslexic and used to read Bacchus as Bracchus.

But anyways... yeah. Salutations.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 6, 2012 - 11:23am

START A THREAD!

Bracchos's picture
Bracchos from Albuquerque is reading Translated Woman April 6, 2012 - 11:28am

Thought this was a general thread, whoops

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 6, 2012 - 11:31am

Nah, go create a discussion. Then introduce yourself.