Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 1, 2013 - 4:07pm

For my week, I totally forgot about it. I was supposed to do a cult film. Donnie Darko is currently streaming on netflix so lets go with that. One of my all time faves. Discussion Here!

VoodooEm picked Taxi Diver for Classic flim to review. Excellent choice. Discussion Here!

I'm awaiting Renfields horror pick. Not his fault it's late. Totally mine.

And Richard gets to pick a theatre flick and decided on the Counsler. I'll give us a week and a half to get our asses to the theatre and post that discussion on November 11.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly November 1, 2013 - 11:48pm

Awesome, thanks JR, and congrats on the spotlight, well earned, sir, well earned.

Michael J. Riser's picture
Michael J. Riser from El Cerrito, CA (originally), now Fort Worth, TX is reading The San Veneficio Canon - Michael Cisco, The Croning - Laird Barron, By the Time We Leave Here, We'll Be Friends - J. David Osborne November 3, 2013 - 11:32am

I thought Prisoners was quite a surprise. It wasn't a classic or masterpiece, but it was pretty fucking good, honestly. I haven't seen too much that excited me this year, and that one (despite what I felt was a horrendously boring description on paper) did a great job. Chatted with Max Booth III about it on Facebook and we both were curious about the detective. I wouldn't mind seeing something else with him in a starring role, he was an interesting character who sort of got left to the imagination a little bit as far as his inner workings. I also loved the minimalist soundtrack. Its sparsity was so refreshing in a world of movies that rely on music far too heavily, and even when music did appear it was spot-on. Beautifully shot movie, too. A little more originality, a few more shocks/taking the breaks off just a bit more could have really made it a special film.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 11, 2013 - 12:07pm

Renfield picked this week's horror  and it is V/H/S. It is currently streaming on Netflix. Discussion starts Here

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 11, 2013 - 12:13pm

Did anyone get to watch The Counselor yet? I plan to go this week. Richard suggested a few and this is the one that fell closest to his week so there you have it. Go to the theatre and return with feedback. I know I can't wait. Discussion starts here: The Counselor

big_old_dave's picture
big_old_dave from Watford, about 20 miles outside London, Uk November 11, 2013 - 12:59pm

Comes out in the UK at the end of the week, will defo check it out.

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts December 18, 2013 - 10:27pm

The new Hobbit is probably the best of the Peter Jackson series I think, which is amazing considering how awfully boring Part I was. What you guys think of it?

I was also super suprised by how much I liked the new Thor. The first one was the most excruciating movie theatre experience I can remember having. New one is sick though,  the jokes are still swing and a miss but it's okay. They had me at drow elves.

Frank Chapel's picture
Frank Chapel from California is reading Thomas Ligotti's works December 20, 2013 - 8:14pm

Can you count me in? my classes have stopped till january, and i love watching movies and talking about them. Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland January 7, 2014 - 6:37pm

So I kind of screwed the pooch on this thread for a while but I did get through all 12 weeks of those who originally volonteered to pick movies. I think we can come up with a newer/better way to pick and keep everyone involved that loves talking about movies. So first off I think I'll just post a thread for everytime I go to the theatre, which is usually not often but I went to the Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and American Hustle recently and those could both be fun to discuss. Especially Hunger Games because we can compare it to the first or the book, or speculate on the last or compare it to Battle Royal, so I'll have that thread up ASAP.

So I guess, I think anytime someone has a movie they really want to talk about post it in this thread and I'll start a discussion if people seem interested. Or maybe if I get a list of great titles from all the members I can draw from a hat and post one a week or something. I'm open to suggestions to help get this going again.

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel January 7, 2014 - 10:05pm

SPOILER ALERT for AMERICAN HUSTLE

I saw American Hustle and thought it was great for many reasons. You know, besides the gratuitous cleavage shown.

First, Turning a guy that should just not be liked into such a sympathetic character was amazing. He was a hustler, adulterer, smoker, drinker, etc. In reality we should have wanted him shot on the spot.

Second, the opening image metaphor was great. Him doing his hair was such a great way to show that deception was going to be the main theme.

Third, Cleavage, cleavage, cleavage.

Fourth, getting us to hate the FBI agent was wonderful. We hated him from the start and it never let up. Not once were we allowed to feel any sympathy for him.

Lastly, the acts were easy to follow, but weren't overt. The twists and turns were timed perfectly to make us completely miss the big reveal.

Anyway, I thought it was great for many reasons. I could keep going on the image metaphors, character development, how they did blah, blah, blah, but I think you get the point. Such a great movie.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin January 8, 2014 - 2:51am

Recent films I've seen: The Hobbit 2, Elysium, Boy Wonder, Maniac (remake), Some guy who kills people, Excision, The Bling Ring, My Neighbour Totoro (oh my god I love Totoro!!), Spirited Away. But I'm happy to talk about any film I've seen old or new :)

V.R.Stone's picture
V.R.Stone from London is reading Savages by Don Winslow January 8, 2014 - 6:07am

Jose,

I totally agree. Hustle reminded me of some of the old Scorcese movies like Goodfellas and Casino with the David O Russell crazy stuff shoehorned in. Everyone's a crook, they're all nuts, they're trying to screw each other (both kinds of screwing), there's plot AND character development. It looks good, the acting's solid and there are a few funny moments. Very entertaining.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin January 9, 2014 - 2:34am

Oh yeah, and I also saw the remake of Carrie, that was pretty cool :)

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On January 9, 2014 - 11:31am

Saw "Nebraska" the other day. Poignant, bittersweet, darkly funny journey down the pockmarked byways of the American dream myth.

Christian Williams's picture
Christian Williams from Hyde Park, NY is reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill January 11, 2014 - 4:57pm

'Drinking Buddies' was added to Netflix streaming...looking forward to this one

Christian Williams's picture
Christian Williams from Hyde Park, NY is reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill January 14, 2014 - 6:30pm

Enjoyed 'Drinking Buddies'. I was already familiar with some of Olivia Wilde, Anna Kendrick and Ron Livingson's work but Jake Johnson puts on a breakout performance for me. A love triangle with an outsider. Zero resolution at the end. My kind of tale with craft beer to boot...