melmurphy's picture
melmurphy from Spokane is reading "Julian" by Gore Vidal March 29, 2014 - 7:08pm

As opposed to writing. Has anyone on here done the freelance editing thing for CreateSpace???

I'm in the process of taking their little editing test and was just wondering if anyone has freelance edited for them? How's it work?

Did you get compenstated for the amount of hours you put in? Etc?

Thanks,

M.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby March 29, 2014 - 7:55pm

Have they not  given you the information about payment? I've not edited for them, but I have edited for many different companies/institutions. I've given estimates by the job, with the understanding that editing can take longer depending on the job. I've also been paid by the hour, for shorter jobs. I'd ask for a little more info on this, if you can.

Good luck!

melmurphy's picture
melmurphy from Spokane is reading "Julian" by Gore Vidal March 30, 2014 - 10:28am

Thanks. Yeah, they emailed me a list of their different types of editing and what each pays. I think it breaks down to about $90-$200 per 10,000 words depending on how in-depth the editing is, as in, do you provide feedback or just correct grammar/spelling.

Wow, this test is a bear. I feel like a fool for emailing them earlier with some questions regarding the instructions. My bad. :L

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated March 30, 2014 - 10:37pm

What site did you find this one, Amazon?  I've not heard of this before.

melmurphy's picture
melmurphy from Spokane is reading "Julian" by Gore Vidal April 2, 2014 - 11:08am

It was a random ad on Craigslist.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 2, 2014 - 6:55pm

Ah.

ljamos's picture
ljamos from Yorktown, VA April 18, 2014 - 10:49am

Hi melmurphy,

I submitted my test to CreateSpace earlier this week. Have you heard back on your test yet? I've been looking online to see if I can find information from people who have worked for them in the past and haven't found anything.

melmurphy's picture
melmurphy from Spokane is reading "Julian" by Gore Vidal April 18, 2014 - 6:13pm

Hi ljamos,

No they haven't given me a definite answer yet. I did send an email asking one of the editors and she said they still haven't gotten thru all the editing tests.

Can I ask where you saw the job ad?

Just curious.

Thanks.

ljamos's picture
ljamos from Yorktown, VA April 19, 2014 - 6:56am

Thanks for the info. I saw it posted on Craigslist too. When I submitted my test, I asked how long it usually takes to hear back and the person I was talking to said it usually takes about two weeks.

Good luck with your test!

.'s picture
. April 27, 2014 - 2:28pm

I got curious and messaged Amazon. Here was their reply:

Please direct your inquiry to vendorhiring@createspace.com. Please  attach your resume or portfolio. Vendor Management will reach out to you if they are interested in moving forward with the testing phase.

melmurphy's picture
melmurphy from Spokane is reading "Julian" by Gore Vidal May 9, 2014 - 9:03pm

So I submitted the damn epic-sized editor's test to them on April 3. They finally got back to me today and said 'thanks' but they're not interested.

I'm seeing a fair number of freelance editing gigs listed via some companies in the Bay Area. They all seem to want the same thing: a ridiculous amount of editing experience (like college professor level) for pay that is so low it's almost minimum wage. I saw one ad the other day for editing marketing copy on a website. They were offering 25 cents per 100 words edited. You must be joking. :L

ljamos's picture
ljamos from Yorktown, VA May 19, 2014 - 4:21am

I got an email a couple of days ago saying "thanks but no thanks." I wonder what the criteria was for making the cut...

Good luck finding some good gigs!

SusanG's picture
SusanG September 4, 2014 - 11:26am

I applied and finished my tests on June 23, and sent everything in. It's now September, and I have heard NOTHING. I've tried emailing the addresses from which I was contacted by Createspace, but have had no response. Does anyone know whom I should contact to ask why I haven't heard anything?

I've about given up anyway, based on reviews I'm reading of working there. It doesn't appear to be the best enviornment!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

BeeGee's picture
BeeGee from Missouri is reading My e-book on Smashwords, The Gabriel Memos. September 17, 2014 - 9:43am

I'm wondering if anyone here would be available to format a book for Createspace and Kindle without going through Amazon or CreateSpace.

My friend is writing a book about the Shroud of Turin. He approaches the topic from a scientific viewpoint. He has tons of photos and tables in the book. First, I want to know if Createspace can handle this. Second, I want to know how much you think is a fair price for doing the formatting. I don't think it will need to be edited.

The qualifications I am looking for is someone who is a whiz at Microsoft Word. I need someone who knows page setup, margins, styles, headers and footers, and all the usual stuff one can do with Word.

This will be a large book. I don't know how many pages. The author is looking for a turn around time of a couple weeks after he finishes writing it.

I've told him it is a matter of copying and pasting into a Createspace template. I told him he could do it himself. I told him I could do it for him if I don't get a job. I'm unemployed at the moment, but that could change.

I am in the process of formatting my book on Createspace. Since this is my first one, there are a lot of things I don't yet know about it.

Bradley Sands's picture
Bradley Sands from Boston is reading Greil Marcus's The History of Rock 'N' Roll in Ten Songs November 19, 2015 - 2:24am

Might want to use spell check before spamming.