Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 21, 2012 - 12:23pm

Hey guys,

The magazine I have been working on is seeking submissions for it's first issue.

Looking for flash fiction and poetry. The slogan is "A broken home for abrasive fiction" I think that says it all.
Dark, noir, pulp, transgressive, hopeless and pissed off stories.

If you're interested check out the submission guidelines at
www.downermagazine.com

Thanks guys

.'s picture
. March 21, 2012 - 4:15pm

Check it out guys! Fast response time.

Mark Grover's picture
Mark Grover March 22, 2012 - 8:58am

I'm gonna have to go through my files and see if I have anything to submit!!

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 22, 2012 - 9:55am

Working on something for this. 1k words is not a lot to work with. But I'll figure something out.

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin March 22, 2012 - 4:19pm

1k is plenty of space to stretch out in.

I believe that I have something just for this.

.'s picture
. March 22, 2012 - 4:32pm

They're looking for something dark. Carol Oats sort of stuff.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 22, 2012 - 4:54pm

Good point Nick. I got something in the works.

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin March 22, 2012 - 5:09pm

I was in this extended tournament at the Write Idea forums (it had a flash round, a short story round, form poetry round and freeform poetry round). The flash wordlimit was 250.

Short story wordlimit?

500.

Neither story works for this I need something darker. But I've been working on this piece called "Jack's Mom" and it'll be terrifying.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 22, 2012 - 5:26pm

devon, what document formats are acceptable? i personally use open office, so i save everything as odt's and ive found that almost no one can open them, including google. so, pdf is what i usually submit with.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 22, 2012 - 5:33pm

@Charles: you can save files in OpenOffice as .doc. Click save as and select Microsoft word doc.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 22, 2012 - 5:35pm

yeah, but that tends to fuck up the spacing, and sometimes other elements as well.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 22, 2012 - 5:36pm

devon,

there's also www.welcometothevelvet.com/ there is some good talent on that site, too.

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 22, 2012 - 6:30pm

The preferred method for submission is just pastes in the body of an email. But .doc and rtf will work too.

Thanks Charles. I didn't even think of the velvet. Baer is probably my favorite right now.

It might be a stupid question, but do any of you read Hubert Selby?

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 22, 2012 - 6:51pm

I've read Requiem, long time ago though.

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 22, 2012 - 10:39pm

I really like stories like that. Hopeless urban reality. I think there is such a limited number of outlets for those kind of stories.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 22, 2012 - 11:03pm

I sent you one.  It's in the second person but I think it's pretty hopeless and a downer!

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 23, 2012 - 2:39am

@Devon: Great. I enjoy writing those types of stories. I'll have one in the next week or so.

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 23, 2012 - 6:57am

Thanks guys I really appreciate the support.

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 23, 2012 - 7:02am

Apparently it is impossible for me to post a call for submissions on welcometothevelvet. Anyone know why?

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 23, 2012 - 12:48pm

i would put it in the forum, devon, and then someone like logan will move it to the submission calls section. i think...

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 24, 2012 - 2:32pm

sent you something.

EdVaughn's picture
EdVaughn from Louisville, Ky is reading a whole bunch of different stuff March 24, 2012 - 9:31pm

@Devon- if your a member of the Velvet you have to have a certain number of posts before you can start a thread. I'm pretty sure that's the rule. Anyway, sounds like a great mag. I'll keep it in the back of my head when submitting for sure.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 25, 2012 - 12:00am

i couldnt figure out the submission call thing, but i made you a thread over there.

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 25, 2012 - 5:50pm

@redvaugh, Thanks, I figured that it was some rule that was blocking me.

@charles, Thanks, I appreciate it.

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 30, 2012 - 6:13am

Hey guys,

Thank you to everyone that submitted to the first issue of Downer. The first issue is online.

Check it out and spread the word.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. March 30, 2012 - 7:36am

Congrats.  The front page is a little hard to navigate (it doesnt' actually link to the first issue).  But other than that, things look great.  Good stuff up there.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 30, 2012 - 12:24pm

i agree with howie. when you click issue 1, it doesnt go there, you have to mouse over it, and even then when you click 1-1 it doesnt. you should make a cover images for each issue, and have a next button. or lay your issues out the way colored chalk used to, or the way thunderdome does now. (which are kinda similar)

examples:

colored chalk - http://coloredchalk.com/modules/smartsection/category.php?categoryid=17

thunderdome - http://thunderdomemag.com/collections/the-collective-speaks/browse-all-collections/itemlist/category/17-march-2011-the-ides

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 30, 2012 - 1:37pm

thanks for checking it out guys. i changed a few things (took your advice) and got it all linked up. i think it is a little easier to navigate and looks prettier now.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones March 30, 2012 - 2:19pm

much better!

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones March 30, 2012 - 2:23pm

Thanks. I appreciate the support.