Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt January 4, 2013 - 1:12pm

Oops, forgot to link it. You can see our page HERE

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks January 9, 2013 - 1:52pm

Hey guys. We're putting out a call for fiction submissions for issue two. We need a few more submissions to have a well-rounded issue!

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce January 9, 2013 - 2:00pm

^^^ Some of the WAR stories I read would be perfect for Parable Press. If you think your WAR story is ready for submission, I would love to see it in our PP inbox!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies January 9, 2013 - 2:35pm

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz January 9, 2013 - 9:04pm

I like when I go to Duotrope, hit "P" and see my friends at Pantheon and Parable Press. I hope to submit to both of you in the not-so-distant future.

Congrats, guys. Both sites look great.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt January 9, 2013 - 9:31pm

Looking forward to it, Otis. Very happy with the response I've gotten so far.

"Heavyweight" was a favorite of mine.

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz January 9, 2013 - 10:11pm

Thanks, I almost forgot about Heavyweight. That seems like so long ago...

I also love writing about or incorporating greek mythology into some of my work. Tall tales, fables - I love that sort of stuff. I'm just now starting to delve into the revising and getting my stories published realm.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt January 10, 2013 - 12:49pm

Looking for more submissions for Pantheon's first issue. Cleared our submission box this morning, and we have about 3 open slots open for fiction for issue one. We like to have around 8 fiction pieces in each issue. Submissions for # 2 are open as well, with only one confirmed piece.

We really like flash, so if your WAR story fits our prompts, send them over! Average response time is currently <1 day

Submit HERE

Like us on Facebook.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce January 10, 2013 - 1:28pm

@Sound - I love what you're doing with Pantheon. I wish I wasn't so time poor right now and could write something for the Hades issue. Damn life getting in the way of everything!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt January 10, 2013 - 1:38pm

Thanks Jess! Haha, yeah life does that. If submissions close for Hades before you're able to submit something, there's always Artemis in July. And (just between you and me) if you want to get started for October, I have a strong feeling it's Poseidon.

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks January 10, 2013 - 10:56pm

Knowing that October's is Poseidon makes me eager to submit.

Also, Jessica is totally right and I spaced including it: the WAR stories have been phenomenal and we are eager to publish them!

Otis, I look forward to that!!

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz January 13, 2013 - 2:01am

Richard...this is titkicking as usual.

Jessmess, I love flash mobs....

Mooney and Bexster on the same flaps?

And, people, Eraserhead is the shit.

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons January 13, 2013 - 4:19pm

I'm a noob on this, so don't laugh. But, Courtney, Miss Jess and Sound: if you see war stories in Litreactor, or things on the workshop that you want in your magazines would you sometimes contact peopel specifically and say "hey send that to me." Or is that not the way it happens? I'm just curious. Because of all these discussins I'm trying to see what I have that could work in various on-line magazines and get started on putting some things out there. I've never written to make something FIT a particular magazine before, but that might be an approach. These are awesome discussion threads for me guys. Inspiring.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt January 13, 2013 - 6:26pm

I reached out to a few people who had stories I absolutely loved that I felt would be a great fit for Hades issue. I also not so subtlely hinted at Otis that I really liked "Heavyweight". I can see myself continuing  to reach out to people in the future if I really liked their stories.

Not sure if this is standard practice, though.

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones January 13, 2013 - 6:38pm

That's what a solicited submission is.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce January 14, 2013 - 8:59pm

@Cove - I did exactly what Sound did. I was lucky with one WAR story, I was thinking about approaching a person, and then they submitted before I aproached them. Two other stories really spoke to me on a personal level, so I spoke to both of the writers involved and said if they were comfortable submitting their stories, I'd love to see them in the slush pile.

There were so many good WAR stories that I can't remember (if I don't write things down, I don't remember them - I have a shocking memory), so hopefully we get more litreactor submissions before the 23rd.

Matthew's picture
Matthew from California is reading Billiards at Half-Past nine January 15, 2013 - 5:34pm

An app/site I'm working on has an open call out for authors:

It's a new twist on self-publishing content.  The app makes it very easy and fun for readers to discover new content, and thus makes it easy for writers to find an audience.  All types of content welcome.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies January 22, 2013 - 1:32pm

DEADLINE: MAY 1, 2013
PAYS: ONE ISSUE

These guys are pretty cool, the overall issue and vibe. New editor, Josh Woods.

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts January 22, 2013 - 3:33pm

Oh shit, that seems like a good fit for one o them War stories. That's a must. Pinckney Benedict is pretty great too, haven't read anything edited by one Josh Woods though. Thanks for that find.

EdVaughn's picture
EdVaughn from Louisville, Ky is reading a whole bunch of different stuff June 9, 2013 - 11:22am

Sinister Grin Press posted on their facebook page about a contest they're having to get your novel published with them. All the details are here http://sinistergrinpress.com/ if anybody is interested.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies June 9, 2013 - 6:36pm

Man, sorry, I've been bad about posting up in here.

DARK HOUSE PRESS, where I'm the new Editor-in-Chief is accepting submissions for:

1. Neo-noir novels, until June 30.

2. Neo-noir short story collections, until June 30.

3. Exigencies, an anthology of neo-noir fiction, until full. 20 stories total, I have taken FOUR.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin June 10, 2013 - 3:35am

@Richard ~ I might have a go at writing a little neo-noir for Exigencies. I love a challenge and even if it falls flat I'll still have learnt a new style :)

Have you done a storyville column on writing neo-noir? I know I should just search but I've hardly had any sleep the past three days and I'm being lazy :P

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies June 10, 2013 - 8:17am

I haven't, Voodoo. I suggested it, but they said there had been something similar in the past. But maybe I'll pitch it again.

Definitely send something over for Exigencies.

OH, this Flavorwire article I wrote may help with the neo-noir:

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin June 10, 2013 - 8:56am

Ah great, thanks Richard

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons June 12, 2013 - 8:22pm

Richard Congratz on your editor - in - chief position!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies June 13, 2013 - 7:08am

YW, Voodoo

Thanks, Cove!

Melissa Ratajczak Ratel's picture
Melissa Ratajcz... from Vancouver, BC is reading About Time by Adam Frank June 19, 2013 - 1:47pm

Hei Hei!

There's a brand new Literary Journal out of Canada that's looking for Submissions on Fiction/Non-Fiction (Between 500 - 5,000 words), Poetry (Max 50 lines), Photography/Art (Max 5 subs). It's called MacroMicroCosm & the journal is an inspection into patterns. http://www.vraeydamedia.ca/macromicrocosm.php

Selected content is paid:

Fiction/Non-Fiction: $0.01/word

Poetry: $5 - $10/poem

Art: $5 - $10/piece

Submission Guide: http://www.vraeydamedia.ca/resources/MacroMicroCosmSubGuide.pdf

Submissions Open till August 3rd.

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things June 30, 2013 - 6:13pm

Alrighty, I'm bumping this up, because I'm now looking around for where I want to submit my first short story ever. I'm not sure how many of these are still current, but hopefully I can find something neat.

Matt A.'s picture
Matt A. June 30, 2013 - 8:06pm

Richard, this may be tough to answer, but can you offer any explanation or definition of "Neo-noir?" (or anyone else)

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies June 30, 2013 - 9:43pm

hey, doug_black. here are some bits of information:

Website: http://www.thedarkhousepress.com - lists authors and some information on what we want

Flavorwire: http://flavorwire.com/388913/10-essential-neo-noir-authors

hopefully they'll help. the key, for me, is the "new" part. so, not classic noir, but new. not classic horror, but contemporary. so that means avoid the old formulas, the old voices and language, and strive to create new narratives. everything from William Gay's "The Paperhanger" to Brian Evenson's "Windeye" to Stephen Graham Jones's "Father, Son, Holy Rabbit." it can be fantasy, SF, horror, crime, transgressive, grotesque, literary, southern gothic, magical realism, surrealism, you name it.

MattF's picture
MattF from Tokyo is reading Borges' Collected Fictions September 4, 2013 - 6:37am

Not quite a call for submissions, but a call for applications for a writing fellowship:

Seems like it might be up your alley Richard (or some of you other MFA's). Not a permanent teaching gig, but being paid $32,000 a year to mainly write fiction and live the life is not too shabby and might lead to other things (like a tweed-jacket-with-elbow-patch habit, possibly...)

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies September 4, 2013 - 8:17am

wow, matt that looks great. i'll have to submit. thanks for the heads up.

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer September 10, 2013 - 8:06am

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but I strongly recommend that no one submit to White Cat Publications. I still haven't been paid for a story that appeared in their vampire magazine four months ago, and received an email today from the editor saying that the owner is no longer returning any of her emails or phone calls about payments, so she is stepping down. From what I understand, White Cat has a number of manuscripts under contract and owe a lot of writers money for past work. My share is a whole fifteen bucks, but still, I don't want to see anyone here get shafted. There are no apparent plans to pay contributors or publish the work they've already aquired.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt September 10, 2013 - 9:35am

That's sad. I was considering subbing something to one of their mags.

Tim Johnson's picture
Tim Johnson from Rockville, MD is reading Notes From a Necrophobe by T.C. Armstrong September 10, 2013 - 10:16am

Uh oh, I'm waiting to hear back on a submission from them.

Edit: Relevant

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer September 10, 2013 - 10:52am

Yeah, that is a similar to the email we received from Dora this morning. Not sure what to do about it. The magazine with my story has been out for a few months, and I'm not suing over fifteen dollars, but they also have non-exclusive e-book rights for two years. Their term for exclusive rights is nearly up, and of course, since I didn't receive payment, they breached the contract, anyway, and shouldn't have any rights.

h. l. nelson's picture
h. l. nelson from Austin, TX is reading Carlos Castaneda September 10, 2013 - 11:21am

I don't think I've posted on this thread yet...

Cease, Cows is always looking for submissions, and we're running a contest through October 15th that Stephen Graham Jones is guest judging.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies September 10, 2013 - 11:21am

Yeah, they deleted her post off the White Cat page. I'd avoid ALL White Cat publications (Dark Intent, Nightfall, Conjurings, etc.)

In case they delete Dora's post at Nightfall, too, here it is:

Nightfall Magazine Update - URGENT
September 9, 2013 at 11:08pm
I am very sorry to have to bring this news to you.

Effective immediately, I will no longer be working for WCP/SDP in any capacity. To the best of my knowledge, Nightfall Magazine will not be published.

Here's what I know:

-Payments to authors who contributed to magazines under the WCP umbrella (Blue Shift and Conjurings) have not been made within the contracted time.
-There is no actual plan in place to produce the remaining WCP magazines (Blue Shift & Conjurings #2, Nightfall & Dark Intent #s 1 & 2) currently under contract.
-Some physical copies of Conjurings #1 have gone out to purchasers. Other buyers have been waiting for some time. Physical copies of this magazine do exist and I don't know what is holding up shipment.
-Physical copies of Blue Shift #1 are not going out to people who purchase them. I don't know if physical copies exist.

Here's what I don't know:

-Whether Mr. Moore still plans to pay any White Cat contributors.
-If Mr. Moore has any actual, actionable plan to put out any publications at all over the next 18 months (I do believe he is still planning to produce a cookbook that was slated to be published in December of this year...that is the only item on which I have seen any movement  - except for Alamo Rising, which was effectively finished before things began going downhill - in six weeks).

Here's what I have heard from a very reliable source:

-Mr. Moore was sick for a time, but his illness was neither as long nor as devastating as he led me to believe.
-Mr. Moore and WCP/SDP are in dire financial straits.
-While Mr. Moore hopes to find a way out of this mess, there is no plan in place to do so and no real indication that one will be developed in the foreseeable future.

Please believe that delivering this news isn't easy. It is still possible that Mr. Moore does intend to move forward with Nightfall and with the other magazines, and to fulfill his obligations to pay the contributors. However, over the past several weeks Mr. Moore has completely ignored any requests I have sent for information or assurance. The fact that people who have bought copies of recent publications are not receiving them is extremely troubling to me. There have been other issues as well, which I will not go into here.

The point is, I no longer have any confidence that WCP can do right by you or that they will provide adequate customer service to readers. Rather than ask you to wait for a year (or more!) while things at WCP are brought back under control, I have made the decision to step down and relay the information that I have to you so if you choose to shop your stories around elsewhere you may do so before markets close for the holidays.

For our contributors:

If I were able to release your stories to you, I would do so. Although I did sign them, however, your contracts originated from WCP; therefore, I am not legally able to nullify them myself. If you do wish to send your story to another market, it is my recommendation that you contact Mr. Moore directly at rick@whitecatpublications.com. To expedite things, you may wish to include some language along the lines of "if I don't hear back from you in 24 hours I will assume you agree that I can retain all rights to this story and am free to place it elsewhere without hindrance or consideration to you" -- because if you ask him to get back to you to confirm, there is a very good chance that he will not. You can, of course, elect to keep your story with WCP. In that case, it might be a good idea for you to ask Mr. Moore for an exact publication date and to get his permission in writing to pull your story immediately if he misses that date so it doesn't remain in limbo for an inordinate amount of time.

I just cannot apologize enough for how this situation has played out. I adored every one of the stories I accepted and was beyond excited to be part of the team that would showcase them. I sincerely hope none of the authors will be too discouraged by this. I wish each of you the best of luck in your writing careers; hopefully, we can work together again under better circumstances.

For those who would have been our fans: I'll be tagging our authors in the comments. Everyone out there who loves to read horror should check these folks out because they KICK ASS.

I'm sure you have questions and concerns. Although I no longer work for WCP/SDP, I will do my best to answer any questions you may have; feel free to reach out to me via FB message at any time.

-dora

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig September 11, 2013 - 10:42am

I thought I'd throw this in here... Revolt Daily is now open for subs again. We aren't a paying market at the moment, though the goal is to get there. We're looking for fiction of all genres, but we want stuff that is really going to blow us away as far as the feeling of the piece, the things the characters do. Our nonfiction is meant to bring attention to underrepresented and/or misunderstood subcultures and other groups, so stories with that in mind may get heavier consideration.

If you have a nonfiction idea for us, you can pitch it.

Sequoia Nagamatsu's picture
Sequoia Nagamatsu is reading Red Moon by Ben Percy and Inter-Ice Age Four by Kobo Abe September 18, 2013 - 11:59pm

Call for Genre-bending and experimental writing...

The journal I co-edit, Psychopomp Magazine, is currently accepting submissions until April 15th. We also have a contest that will open up on Oct. 15th ($500, publication) which is judged by Timothy Schaffert.

The Psychopomp Magazine staff is committed to publishing original fiction that dares to redefine traditional storytelling and genre borders. While we like stories that treat the concepts of passages, transitions, and the state of being betwixt and between, we are open to all work regardless of theme. We are generally not looking for traditional realist fiction or pure hard genre. With that said, we are certainly open to publishing more traditional literary work or more hard genre (no fan fiction) so long as it’s really, really good.

To give you an idea of our tastes, here are some writers we admire: Kate Bernheimer, Karen Russell, Alissa Nutting, Kevin Brockmeier, Jonathan Lethem, Jeff Vandermeer, Brian Evenson, Matt Bell, Etgar Keret, Ron Currie, Amelia Gray, Ben Marcus, Pinckney Benedict, Robert Coover, J.G.Ballard, Italo Calvino, Kelly Link, Walter Miller, Alex Shakar, Russell Hoban, Gillian Flynn, Justin Cronin, Peter Straub, Aimee Bender, Steven Millhauser

Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please do inform us if your work is accepted elsewhere as soon as possible.

Please only submit one story per reading period unless your individual submissions are under 1,000 words in which case you may send up to three pieces in one file. Our response time is within 2-3 months.

Our word limit for general submissions is approximately 5,000 words (we reserve the right to stop reading at this limit, so keep this in mind). If you happen to see a story that is much longer than this limit, it means we solicited it or that it was a contest winner or finalist. Please send .Doc or .PDF formats only.

Max's picture
Max from Texas is reading goosebumps September 19, 2013 - 5:44am

Hey everyone. I'm still new to the community but saw this thread and thought some of you might be interested in contributing to a Bukowski tribute anthology. The deadline is actually the end of September, so there's not a LOT of time to write something up and submit. However, I thought I'd still post it up here just in case.

LONG DISTANCE DRUNKS: A TRIBUTE TO CHARLES BUKOWSKI

Pay is royalties and a contributor copy. 1000--10,000 words. More details are in the link.

Those you undoubtedly already know--Richard Thomas and Craig Wallwork--are attached to the ToC, along with a few others I can't announce yet. It's going to be a fantastic collection and I hope some of you submit.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies September 20, 2013 - 12:07pm

i've been eyeballing you, Psychopomp. no pay, though, right?

Lady Hazmat's picture
Lady Hazmat is reading Various Titles September 22, 2013 - 10:34am

Found this today.

Do you enjoy Halloween? Do you want to be on the radio? It Matters Radio is doing a special Halloween show, and we're looking for terrific, spooky, and yes, scary stories to be read by their authors.

ravenkult's picture
ravenkult from Sweden is reading The Keeper September 28, 2013 - 1:40am

I run Kraken Press and we're accepting submissions for an anthology right now. The theme is 50s Americana.

More info here.

And the pièce de résistance, the cover.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies September 28, 2013 - 1:54pm

^i love that cover. welcome, George. hope i can tap into the 1950s for this. never done that before.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami September 30, 2013 - 12:47am

I guess I'll bite the bullet. Are their any zines that take psycho-transversive? I guess I'll look for one that takes dystopian in the mean time.

SConley's picture
SConley from Texas is reading Coin Locker Babies September 30, 2013 - 6:27am

I love a good cover.

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer September 30, 2013 - 2:41pm

Absolutely love that cover. It's all sorts of sexy.

JEFFREY GRANT BARR's picture
JEFFREY GRANT BARR from Central OR is reading Nothing but fucking Shakespeare, for the rest of my life October 2, 2013 - 11:16pm

Webook, a community site for writers at which I have spent some time, is running a flash fiction Halloween challenge. First prize is an iPad mini, and there are prompts, which are loved by the LitReactors.

Read the guidelines for the prompts. Clickez-toi le link las:

MattF's picture
MattF from Tokyo is reading Borges' Collected Fictions November 2, 2013 - 10:04pm

Black Clock is now open for submissions, which seems to occur about as frequently as a credible sasquatch sighting. If you're interested, you should probably act quick.