L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami June 23, 2016 - 10:20pm

Does anyone know how to paste an article?

http://nyti.ms/28RorJy Here we go, nevermind. What are your thoughts on this?

As an American I should be indifferent, although my paranoid thinking lends to speculating about if specific non libs were elected, and if Britain leaves union.

Now the funny thing as a cult survivor (bet you didn't know that?) one the things mentioned in that cult was EU being actually a dictatorship.

Nevermind why a UFO swiss cult would having an opinion on EU membership, but whatever. Let's all go along for the races.

Oh I've been called British from time to time, and Brits seems to follow me on Twitter. I don't get it, though British women are hot. Just like Dutch.

Sheri Attani Rohrbacher's picture
Sheri Attani Ro... from San Jose, CA is reading The Blindfold by Siri Hustvedt October 2, 2016 - 8:58pm

I just saw this post.

Generally, I think it's a shame that they've broken with the EU but since seeing that the EU wants Turkey so bad, well maybe it's a good thing. I feel very bad for any foreigners in the UK. Some incredibly prejudiced people have had their way. The thing about Turkey though, bad things have been happening for some time and now with the failed coup it's total fucksville. The censorship is catastrophic, the executions horrendous. They beat a trans woman to death and it's okay to do that there. Just what the EU needs, the Dark Ages risen from its bloody grave. Beautiful country, asshole leadership.

The UK will survive. There's a lot of good people there, in spite of the Brexit people.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal October 3, 2016 - 8:51am

To be fair, I know a very nice, very non-prejudiced person who was all for Brexit (who lives there). Her argument against the sort of forced immigration in the country was pretty simple, I'll paraphrase: "our services (NHS, etc.) have gone 'to shit' and are flooded with people who are chronically unemployed and not paying into the system."

I asked her about the young vs. old thing, she said it was pretty true that older people voted to get out of the EU, and made the point that younger people don't really remember what it was like before the EU, and how much better their services were.

She also went on to say that things pretty much go one way: Merkel gets what she wants, and maybe France, they get, and everyone else is too afraid, or whatever, to go against them. It's very much an issue of sovereignty for them, they don't like Britain submitting to a higher authority.

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. October 3, 2016 - 9:24am

In a time when the globe has shrunk to the size of a large city of the past, I am continually astonished that people can atually think that not participating in conversation with the rest of the world about how to live in peace and cooperation could be a good thing. Secondly, the whole conversation becomes an excuse to blame the dispossessed and those impoverished and ravaged and running from war and destruction for the situation that has put them on the run without anywhere to go or anyone to help. Disgusting. Abhorrent. Intolerable in this day and age, to revert to the good old dark ages.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal October 3, 2016 - 9:35am

I've only heard people blaming the wealthy as of late...

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. October 3, 2016 - 9:52am

and your point, Thuggish?

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal October 3, 2016 - 10:41am

That you said the opposite..?

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. October 3, 2016 - 10:48am

You'll have to finish your thought. I don't understand what you mean.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal October 3, 2016 - 11:11am

... whole conversation becomes an excuse to blame the dispossessed and those impoverished and ravaged and running from war and destruction for the situation

That's what you said the "whole conversation" is about. I was pointing out that every time I hear the conversation it's all focused on the rich people, and it blames them for everything.

smithreynolds's picture
smithreynolds from Spokane, WA USA is reading The writing on the wall. October 3, 2016 - 11:19am

Thanks for the clarification. I am enlightened.

Vonnegut Check's picture
Vonnegut Check from Baltimore October 5, 2016 - 1:38pm

People on the Left blame the plutocrats and their oligarchic overlords. People on the Right blame welfare queens and immigrants.

It's the same old song and dance every decade.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! October 6, 2016 - 9:13am

It's a rich poor divide, a young old divide and yeah pretty much what Thuggish's friend said about the services being fucked. It's not about prejudice or racism or hatred or whatever else some media whore wants to claim. It's about trying to save a crumbling mess. And boo hoo if some students now need a visa to travel round Europe on their gap year. Welcome to life.

And honestly I don't want to get into a debate about the whole thing. Majority rules so suck it up.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal October 6, 2016 - 9:45am

Actually the majority often doesn't rule. In fact, in America, it was never designed to be "majority rules" end of story.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! October 6, 2016 - 2:20pm

Well yes I agree, I'm just sick of all the backlash and complaining about the result of the vote and the calls for a re-vote. I'm mostly just venting :)

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal October 6, 2016 - 2:45pm

well that's what some people do if they don't get their way. recount, mulligan, challenge in the courts despite not having a case, activist judge, ignore the law all together...

ends justifies the means i guess?