Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life October 1, 2011 - 5:46pm

I created this discussion just to get the achievement. You wish you thought of it first, suckers!

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 October 1, 2011 - 6:34pm

It's addictive like Xbox!

Fylh's picture
Fylh from from from is reading is from is reading is reading is reading reading is reading October 1, 2011 - 6:44pm

Pfft, I got that achievement before it was mainstream.

A. Mason Carpenter's picture
A. Mason Carpenter from USA is reading The Power of Myth, by Joseph Campbell October 1, 2011 - 6:46pm

There should be a support group for people addicted to collecting pixilized self worth.  I would join.

Craig Clevenger's picture
Craig Clevenger from Joshua Tree, CA October 2, 2011 - 12:45am

Josh, that is without a doubt a seriously underhanded way to earn a badge. You should be ashamed. And I totally wish I'd thought of it first.

I'm not addicted to collecting pixelized self-worth. I can stop whenever I want, but it's just really fun. Really. I don't need them. I just want them.

What?

Whatever... I don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 October 2, 2011 - 2:48am

I remember reading an article somewhere that Microsoft's idea for it was completely "pixelated self worth", was to make people feel rewarded and it keeps them coming back. People playing would replay the game hundreds of times just to gain that missed achievement.

The same concept is used for Facebook for the friendless masses to make friends in order to achieve badges from applications. It's kind of like if you put a rat in a cage and somehow a repeated action allowed it an orgasm, it would orgasm until it fainted or died.

Fortunately the orgasms of this community are for productivity, otherwise we'd have a really big mess and many members dropping dead.

DominoGalaxy's picture
DominoGalaxy from England is reading American Gods October 2, 2011 - 4:23am

Personlly, I find all virtual achivements to have no real worth. Or to put it another way, I just don't care for them. I think there should be an option to turn off achievements for Xbox. Anyone agree? You get points for playing the game. Yes I bought the game to play it. Now stop telling me I've won points. Go away. It's like watching a movie and getting points after a scene. I should tell Microsoft.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life October 2, 2011 - 7:16am

I personally love Xbox achievements. I feel they add another level of replayability to games.

Kirk's picture
Admin
Kirk from Pingree Grove, IL is reading The Book Of The New Sun October 2, 2011 - 9:03am

I agree with Josh. And more than the replayability, they sometimes make me try playing the game in a way I normally wouldn't. If I see one that says "Complete level 2 with any bad guys spotting you" you can damn well bet I'm going to give that a try. Especially because my normal appraoch is to just shoot everyone in the face. Gannies included!

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz October 2, 2011 - 9:27am

Damn it Josh, there you go again with your geniusing. There should be a badge for that. Geniusing.

I think the Achievement Badges are great. Not only are they cool looking, but they keep us moving forward. LitCarrots. Like you said Kirk, they urge us to try new things or ask "I wonder what that is all about?"

The "Your so Vain" medallion is my current favorite. I was surprised to find that LitBot knew how conceited. I was. She is a mindreader, that Bot. Hot Botty Bot.

I wish I had palpable versions of the cybermedals so I could walk around with them swinging from my neck, a LitPimp with a horde of LitBots reciting The Marquis de Sade.

Helical Claimer's picture
Helical Claimer from Canada is reading American Psycho October 3, 2011 - 4:07pm

I thought of this as well.  Instead, I hit next and here I am.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones October 3, 2011 - 5:06pm

i was gonna delete this, but i cant. so... umm.... how bout that NBA season that's not happening?

.'s picture
. October 12, 2011 - 1:19am

To get the Cool Hundo badge do you have to have 100 workshop points saved up or is it just points you accumulate over time while you use them and what not?

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break October 12, 2011 - 4:56am

@Jack

I don't get it.  That Meachman dude should have one by now.