jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like April 28, 2014 - 9:17pm

Three thousand, four hundred, and one.

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! April 28, 2014 - 9:43pm

..wishes out at sea?

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like April 28, 2014 - 9:59pm

... posts on the thread. +2.

Grigori Black's picture
Grigori Black from US is reading Radium Girls by Amanda Gowin April 29, 2014 - 12:20am

@justwords--

I'd have to agree with you. I don't think of myself as cynical, more of a realist. The only problem I see is that I tend to identify with weird concepts/characters.

Ernst Jugen (Character in the Liam Neeson movie unknown) had a quote that truly resonated with me on a fundamental level: "In the Stasi, we had a basic principle: ask enough questions and a man who is lying will eventually change his story. But the man who tells the truth cannot change his, however unlikely his story sounds."

It was a good summary of what experience had taught me up to that point.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 29, 2014 - 2:08am

That is one of those things that sounds true, but I don't think is.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby April 29, 2014 - 7:51am

@Grigori--

Well, I wouldn't call the truth weird, and you seem to identify with that. :)

Pay no attention to Dwayne. He'd argue with a sign post.

Had a bad night; intense storms in my neighborhood. I'm going to take a nap.

Cheers!

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 29, 2014 - 10:13am

If you don't think a person who is telling the truth can be badgered into changing his story, not sure what to tell you besides 'good luck'.

Grigori Black's picture
Grigori Black from US is reading Radium Girls by Amanda Gowin April 29, 2014 - 12:06pm

Can someone be coerced into lying? Or 'led' to a specific conclusion? Absolutely.

But a common interrogation technique is asking the same question multiple ways and observing how consistently a subject answers the question. People who are bad at lying will trip themselves up on details. Is this 100% foolproof? Of course not. It's simply a method, a useful tool for filtering information.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 29, 2014 - 2:58pm

Which is a lot more reasonable than the East German secret police's outlook quoted above.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby April 29, 2014 - 4:59pm

True that. I'd rather be intensely questioned than waterboarded. I once thought Germans came up with that, but I think the Chinese did? Or am I thinking about crucifixtion?

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 29, 2014 - 9:07pm

It was all me.  My bad, sorry.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby April 30, 2014 - 12:24pm

You're such a creative guy!

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 30, 2014 - 2:41pm

I try.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 1, 2014 - 6:54am

You are reliable, if unpredictable.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 1, 2014 - 7:47pm

I get that a lot.  No joke.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 1, 2014 - 8:59pm

Damn. Here I thought I was being original. You just keep popping my ballons, D.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 1, 2014 - 9:00pm

Wait.... balloons. can't spell any more either.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 1, 2014 - 11:06pm

Wait, aren't you married? Stop flirting.

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 2, 2014 - 4:03am

Fliting and marriage go together like ...

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 2, 2014 - 8:26am

... lawyers and divorce? And no Dwayne.

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 2, 2014 - 2:50pm

...love triangle, murder and a novel.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 2, 2014 - 4:53pm

Hey, RG, that's 3!

Kentucky Derby (140th year), funky big hats, and mint juleps!

California Chrome is the favorite, but I'm going to pull for Vicar's In Trouble--and Napravnik, first female jockey to ride in Kentucky's premier race (bad odds so far: 20-1). Wicked Strong could be a serious contender, in spite of the bad starting position (19).

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 2, 2014 - 10:22pm

Are we still talking about the first female to do stuff?

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 2, 2014 - 11:02pm

I suppose Eve was the first female to do stuff?

Mint juleps - oohhh, I have never tried one, but they sound like something I would like.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 2, 2014 - 11:33pm

@Dwayne---

Of course. You male types have had a stranglehold on Everything since Eve had to take all the blame and Adam later felt like a shit... which he was. Please. I would Love for all men to go through one month as an adult female and try to keep up!

@RG ---

Yes! She questioned the biggest authority! Adam was a wimp and a tattletale twit. Eve was curious, and she was smart.

I don't know about "stuff"; allegorically she was the first "human" female to have a good time in the sack, or I guess in their case, leaves or whatever. Depending on which Jewish rabbi you talk to, that whole story wasn't about a "fallen" or bad woman taking advantage of a man... what a crock! (My religious guys, the Catholic priests et al., made Eve a whore. In the RC women are either virgins or whores.-- oops, sorry. I've been in my cups tonite [sheepish grin]. I'm a lapsed RC can't you tell?)

Ok, woman to woman, Mint Juleps are sweet but they will stab you in the back when you aren't looking if you drink more than one. They are traditionally made from American whiskey--Early Times --- or a really sweet bourbon (yuck).  I'm a Scotch drinker and I prefer Dewar's w/water no ice; but Jameson's Irish is pretty tasty too. You have to try a Kentucky Mint Julep at least once; it's a great little party drink, and the ONLY drink on our Derby Day. :)

Happy weekend! (ps I live in the state that invented stock car racing; the Talladega, AL,  race is the offspring of that kind of racing,which is also held weekend. Lots of wrecks, really fast driving (this type of racing is directly descended from the Prohibition Days when Southerners ran 'shine (and they still do), and tricked out their American cars from the thirties to outrun the "G-men"-- government guys. It's now a respectable racing venue, thanks to the Yankees and Mid-Westerners and even the folks out West having an enthusiasm for our bad boys racing souped-up cars. And people make bets on the timing of the tire/oil changing/fuel fill-up/ driver water fill-up action in the pits.. amazing what people will bet on.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 3, 2014 - 2:07am

@RG - I would imagine so.

Part of me wants to get to Louisville and just sell something, make a grand or two.  I doubt you have the right stuff in Austrila, I think you have a different breeds of mint there.

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 2, 2014 - 11:54pm

Wow JW - a comprehensive post.  I am not actually religious at all, I would describe myself as athiest.

I love your take on Eve though.  I enjoy a drop of scotch too, not the sweet stuff though.

Here in Tassie we have a few distillaries making scotch, they have even beaten some of the Scottish ones in competitions.As is the way with anything made in your own State, it is not cheap though.

Your state sounds very exciting and fast paced.  Happy weekend to you too!

Does being in your cups mean you have been drinking?  I am not familiar with that term.

Dwayne - different breeds of mint - really?  Hmmm.  Next time I go to the big Island I will find a bar that can make me a mint julep.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 3, 2014 - 2:46am

@Justwords - Sorry, you posted while I was writing my reply.  Maybe you write way faster than I do.

Without a religious debate, and assuming we are discussing the Christain Bible's depiction, everyone involved got literal curses from God; Adam, Eve, the serpent, and everyone descended from them.  I've never heard of a curse from God counting as someone else getting all the blame.  I understand your goal was a point regarding of male and female interaction, but that isn't really done with inaccurate statements.

It is hard enough to be a decent man or woman, without switching.  Funny though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i96rRCzQAc

Sweet bourbon?  Gross.  But yes, bourbon drinks will cut you so bad, you'll wish they hadn't cut you so bad.

@RG - In my cups does mean drinking, although I think that is a British saying.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 3, 2014 - 8:30pm

@Dwayne:

All my dad's people are (or were) Irish; my grandmother was first generation born here. I've heard "in my cups" all my life; guess the Irish picked it up when the Brits took over the country.

About the Garden story: it was written as an allegory by the Jewish people; it was never meant to be taken literally. They of course had the original copy (the Torah). Since it was written and rewritten many times afterwards when the Christians came along and there were many arguments as to what first the RC bunch and then the Protestants wanted to keep (the canon, so to speak) and which books were inspired by God, I feel okay in saying that it can be and it continues to be up for discussion; you can't tell me that we have the definitive original translation, plus who knows what the archeologists will eventually dig up? There were many other books burned as heresy; one man's heresy is another man's true. But I tend to be a liberal on these matters. I do apologize for going off on a rant---it was the Devil in my cups.  :)

Interesting about the mint...

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 4, 2014 - 2:13am

That wonders over into a religious debate, so no.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 4, 2014 - 2:44pm

Okay. We'll just disagree.

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 4, 2014 - 3:24pm

I have 4 morework days (starting tomorrow) and then I will be on 8 weeks long service leave.  This thrills me.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 4, 2014 - 5:05pm

YAY!!! Are you traveling anywhere? Hope you have a terrific time!

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 4, 2014 - 6:20pm

What is service leave?

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 4, 2014 - 7:24pm

@Dwayne- it is Long Service Leave, because I have worked at the same health service (I'm a nurse, it's a public hospital, therefore government run - Medicare, like what Obama is trying to introduce, we have mostly free healthcare for all) for 10 years they give me 12 extra paid weeks of leave for being loyal.  You can take them in any way you want - all at once, one at a time and so on.  So I am saving 4 weeks for next year to add on to my normal holidays.

@jw - I am going volunteering in Vietnam for 2 weeks at an orphanage / nursing home for people affected from agent orange in the war.  Other than that I want to hang at home because it feels like I am not home that often.  Get a vege patch read, stuff like that, pottering around really.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 4, 2014 - 7:56pm

Wow, now I feel like a slug. Good on you for helping those folks; God knows my fellow Americans should be in the vanguard of that action. That's pretty amazing.

It's neat that you can carry over to next year (?) your holiday weeks. Everyone here I've ever worked for only let you carry over sick time (and I've always been a salaried worker - not wage), no matter what your seniority is (except of course for the big guys at the top).

What kind of veggies can you grow? Which coast are you on? Oh, crap never mind (too nosy, yes!!)--- just curious--makes a difference here in trade winds, weather, soil, etc., as to what crops/plants/trees/flowers etc. will thrive or die. In my state, even 50-75 miles can make a difference.

Ok, keep us posted on your progress on any lit you're writing, and enjoy your (I'm sure) well-deserved time off! :)

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 4, 2014 - 8:07pm

So paid time off?

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 4, 2014 - 8:34pm

Yep Dwayne - paid time off.

JW - I'll get back to you.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 4, 2014 - 8:50pm

I'm growing strawberries, squash, some herb I forgot, corn, cantaloupe (American slang version), cucumbers, green beans, blueberries, onions, carrots,  spinach, tomatoes, watermelon, eggplant, peppers, pumpkins, and potatoes.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like May 4, 2014 - 9:02pm
Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 4, 2014 - 10:36pm

Oh eeeeewwww JYH- I just read Guts - I had to just keep reading, even when I knew.  Thanks for the link, such a pleasure to be grossed out.

@JW Right down south- I'm on the little Island at the bottom. Last stop before Antartica.  We grow pretty much the same as Dwayne.

@Dwayne - so productive.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 5, 2014 - 5:26am

I think I might be a little manic.

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 5, 2014 - 3:05pm

Embrace the mania!

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 5, 2014 - 11:35pm

"Tinku"

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 6, 2014 - 4:56am

What about it?

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 6, 2014 - 12:28pm

Embrace the mania!

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 6, 2014 - 1:33pm

Too busy.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby May 6, 2014 - 3:28pm

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 6, 2014 - 3:39pm

Yeah, but it doesn't make him kill his family, that was the evil spirits.

Renae Gee's picture
Renae Gee from Australia is reading All the words! May 6, 2014 - 4:24pm

Ha ha - you crack me up.  His rice crispies made him do it.