bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. June 12, 2012 - 9:25am

Courtney is an angel.  We asked her to make this post, and she did it within hours.  She gathered everything in one place and made this site more userfriendly right away.  Now, what's missing is an explanation of everyone's personality and how not to take it personally.

Howie: Will turn everything into a sex joke as quickly as possible.  He's impossibly ugly in real life.

Averydoll:  Is totally sweet, but has a really harsh wit that may come off as an attack.  She has an elf-ear.

Utah:  Will defend the people at all costs.  A handsome gentlemen.

R. Moon: Is a genius.  He smiles down upon us like a God.

Matt Attack: Is trying hard at all times to not come off as a dick.  He promotes workshops and does a lot of positive stuff around the site.  He has great hair.

Bekanator: Is the Warrior queen and all must bow down to her.  Also, she's cute as a button.

.... that's all I have right now.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner June 12, 2012 - 10:09am

Matt Attack: Is trying hard at all times to not come off as a dick."

This is true, it's just so hard to give a fuck sometimes.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters June 14, 2012 - 4:54am

"Now, what's missing is an explanation of everyone's personality and how not to take it personally."

I want to help!!

“R. Moon: Is a genius.  He smiles down upon us like a God. “
Another important thing about him, if he sees this, he will be compelled to comment on it and say thank you.

Who else lives here?

Dwayne:  He thinks he’s being funny.  Don’t take it personally.

JY: Sometimes he feels like being a douche and pointing out your grammatical and spelling errors, but he always own up to it.

Chester: He’s a funny guy, but if you cross him, he will burn you to the ground, or possibly just tell the most depressing story in the history of time and ruin your life that way.

Nick Wilczynski: Is not actually Russian.

flaminia_klla: One of the nicest LitReactors.  No one dislikes her.

Bill Tucker: Has excellent taste in music.  I generally think he’d be fun to have a beer with.

Dave: He has irrational ideas about tires.

This is fun.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated June 13, 2012 - 5:42am

Avery, Dwayne, and Jack don't know each other in real life. I think I'm forgetting someone who used to be here all the time but dropped out? Or changed their screen name or such.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry June 14, 2012 - 6:34am

Holy shit, I'm censoring myself.

I fucking love Utah!

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated June 14, 2012 - 12:01pm

Rach122 is a wonderful person and writer who always seems to get over looked on these lists because she doesn't say the silly stuff the rest of us do. And that isn't cool.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like June 14, 2012 - 1:52pm

but he always own up to it.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters June 21, 2012 - 11:42am

IN CASE I MISSED ONE!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt June 21, 2012 - 12:51pm

This is hilarious. I'm fighting to not jump up and down and say, "do me! do me!"

But then, and this is just me going off of your list there, Howie might make a dirty joke.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt June 21, 2012 - 4:37pm

.'s picture
. June 21, 2012 - 7:21pm

jacks_username doesn't get a shout out. But you can see him in numerous magazine articles on the site.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters June 21, 2012 - 7:28pm

That's why we didn't mention you, you fucking attention whore.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt June 22, 2012 - 7:07pm

@ Avery:

CuriousityAndTheCat's picture
CuriousityAndTheCat from a town much further south than where I live now is reading everything I can get my hands on June 23, 2012 - 2:35am

This was incredibly helpful and very well done. Thank you! Reading this made the best use of my insomnia!

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner June 23, 2012 - 4:05am

@Dakota FINE! jacks_username's piss cures cancer.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. June 23, 2012 - 8:09am

Thank you for reading it, Cat.  I think a lot of new members skip it.

underpurplemoon's picture
underpurplemoon from PDX June 23, 2012 - 2:51pm

I wish I had Rach122's strength. Sighs.

I have a writing addiction. It doesn't help being in front of a computer with awesome Internet service.

Thank you for the idea. You're awesome.

-----

RoaringJen (formerly known as VerboseLobster) is the exact opposite of averydoll in every possible way. A basic goody-goody who only swears via quoting everyone else. Online stalks everyone because real life is quite mundane. In real life, she begs to differ because she makes more money at the shop by herself than with employees. She's good at wooing customers 95% of the time at the retail shipping place she runs. Current obsession (thanks to Matt Attack): Tori Amos. Current goal: meet Chester in real life because they're practically neighbors.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters June 23, 2012 - 4:01pm

"is the exact opposite of averydoll in every possible way"

I'm trying to decide if that makes me mad or not.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. June 23, 2012 - 4:12pm

I've decided.  You are angry.  Get in a tickle fight with her.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters June 23, 2012 - 4:16pm

Really?  Do I seem like that kind of girl, Howie?  Really?

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner June 23, 2012 - 5:36pm

I am trying to think of a way you guys are alike. I can't think of one single commonality besides being female.

.'s picture
. June 23, 2012 - 7:56pm

FINE! jacks_username's piss cures cancer.

Thanks :]

That's why we didn't mention you, you fucking attention whore.

Aww, you're so sweet to me.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. June 23, 2012 - 9:03pm

Yes, Avery.  Yes you do.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest June 23, 2012 - 9:37pm

I am compelled to say thank you to both Avery and Howie. Thank you.

underpurplemoon's picture
underpurplemoon from PDX June 24, 2012 - 12:46am

I'm trying to decide if that makes me mad or not

Not.

Get in a tickle fight with her.

No. I don't believe in fighting unless attacked.

I am trying to think of a way you guys are alike.

My head hurts. I'm going back to the workshop review thingy.

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks July 23, 2012 - 11:28am

I'm not sure I can let Howie trash my name like that. I'll let it slide this time, though.

Is this post why I still got friend requests after I left?

big_old_dave's picture
big_old_dave from Watford, about 20 miles outside London, Uk August 26, 2012 - 3:17am

Cheers Courtney, as a beginner this is a life saver!

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 9, 2012 - 8:46pm

I'm thinking of updating this, just to keep it timely. I'd like to include some more information on the member-run challenges and add more information about the forums and the monthly threads (I'm Alive, the picture threads, the what-are-you-reading threads). Does anyone have any suggestions for what should be included in the updated edition?

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly October 9, 2012 - 9:38pm

I think it's a good idea. Some seem self explanatory (I'm Alive) but it couldn't hurt to have a quick reference for someone to figure out what thr randomness of a monthly pic thread may be about. So, the answer I suppose is a one liner about the recurring member driven threads.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly October 9, 2012 - 10:34pm

Double post courtesy of Apples iOS 6 and my iPhone.

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 10, 2012 - 5:11pm

That would work. I want to encourage people to take part because most of the newcomers seem to avoid those threads. I also want to be more timely and include something about WAR, because I remember being too scared to sign up for it when it came around the first time (it was immediately when I joined.)

Any other suggestions?

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On October 10, 2012 - 8:31pm

Courtney, you're at the top of my list for starting this Intro thread! I just signed up last week and look forward to contributing while also getting shredded by my peers:)

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 10, 2012 - 8:51pm

Maybe give the new guys their own war bracket?

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 5:48am

Courtney, speaking of that, I think you're the last person that should be afraid of getting involved in WAR.

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 11, 2012 - 8:43pm

I was terrified. I had just joined, thought everyone hated me, and that I would never fit in. This is not a joke -- I am terribly awkward, have no social skills, and have no idea what to do with myself around new people. That's why I started this thread. I want everyone to get involved and feel like I do now -- like I'm part of a community.

I think giving the new kids their own bracket would almost be cruel. At my old high school, they wanted to introduce a dress code, and were going to do it year-by-year. So the new freshmen would wear it, then those freshman as sophomores and the new freshmen... imagine how terrible that would have been. They're already terrified of not fitting in, and now we're singling them out.

Would anyone give me some testimonials? The original WAR started when the site was pretty new, and that meant that a lot of people were brand new. I'd love some quotes from the original WAR members who were new when they joined. I noticed how tight-knit and bonded the original WAR people became and I honestly think that finding a competition niche in LitReactor can help improve your experience. That's what Thunderdome did for me, at least.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly October 12, 2012 - 7:55am

I hadn't submitted before LitWar 1. It makes a difference when you're writing is out there, when you take that step that so many others have already.  It's a great way to incorporate into the group.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 12, 2012 - 9:18am

I had just joined, thought everyone hated me, and that I would never fit in.

When do you realize you were right?

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 12, 2012 - 9:00pm

Dwayne -- When you learn to proofread your comments.

Dave, I like it. I'm making a few smaller "introduction to ______" things that I can include in another Word document as sort of an "extended cut" of this post, so I'll definitely use your quote in it.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 13, 2012 - 3:29am

I spellz good!

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 15, 2012 - 8:03am

I smellz good!

Yeah, but you taste awful.

Program's picture
Program from California is reading Essays of E.B. White October 22, 2012 - 10:54am

Thank you Courtney, Matt, Howie and Typewriter.  I just joined, (free until the end of the week when I get paid) and this inspired me to delve into what this site has to offer.  I look forward to reading your stuff, giving/receiving reviews and becoming a better writer.  Thanks,

Program

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 22, 2012 - 11:17am

Welcome.

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 26, 2012 - 10:54am

I'm glad to hear it! I hope to see you around!

fport's picture
fport from Canada is reading The World Until Yesterday - Jared Diamond November 2, 2012 - 10:07pm

Well, this post and the comments make a nice introduction to the site.

It's good to have a place to start. I am looking forward to engaging, meeting

and having a little interaction with those present.

Me, well I have a book that wants out. I take a project or two on every winter to pass the time.

Stuff like building a sparc station from pieces and learning solaris. Reading web comics that have

been live since 98 or 01 or whatever. Learning new software to facilitate my hobbies and interests.

This year it looks like litreactor will be getting my attention.

Cures and Remedies's picture
Cures and Remedies from Canada is reading Transubstantiate - Richard Thomas November 2, 2012 - 10:55pm

I see you're from Canada.

Great country, if I may say so myself.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated November 2, 2012 - 11:38pm

When I was a child I lived in Detriot. I wondered if Winsor was magical. Sort of still do.

JEFFREY GRANT BARR's picture
JEFFREY GRANT BARR from Central OR is reading Nothing but fucking Shakespeare, for the rest of my life November 3, 2012 - 1:00am

Whuuuuuuttttttt... SPARCstations, Solaris... where has this thread been?

Dwayne, Canada is magical, but not out East. West of Winnipeg is where it's at.

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts November 3, 2012 - 1:40am

Toronto is a cool place though, plus that's where they've filmed all those cheesey Sci-Fi channel shows. Edmonton's the coolest place I been up there though.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated November 3, 2012 - 1:46am

Jeff, if you can be that close to Detroit and safe you have something odd going on.

JEFFREY GRANT BARR's picture
JEFFREY GRANT BARR from Central OR is reading Nothing but fucking Shakespeare, for the rest of my life November 3, 2012 - 1:57am

Toronto is cool--very multi-cultural and hip. A little too much so for my provincialism. While I'm no fan of Edmonton (I was born in Calgary, go Flames!), I have a lot of friends there, and they say it's quite nice.

Dwayne, Windsor is only safe relative to Detroit. Let's face it, the surface of Jupiter is probably safer than the dodgier parts of Detroit.