Get Your Kindle 'Signed' With Kindlegraph

Kindlegraph

This is a neat little invention for authors that we came across.  The platform is called Kindlegraph, and it's essentially a way for authors to personalize Kindles without defacing the back of the unit with their John Hancock. This is pretty much perfect for those Kindle-only authors who don't have physical copies available and/or don't have the funds to arrange signings.  I can see this being a big hit with that particular crowd.

How it works is that the author puts in a little info, pastes their ISBN number into the appropriate field, and voila--you're in!  Readers can click the 'Request Kindlegraph' button beneath your book and you'll be notified via email. By the way, signing up is about as easy and hassle-free as it gets. Only took me a couple minutes to put my own book in there.  It's also free.

Of course, there are a couple of drawbacks.  Although the inscription is personally from the author, it isn't going to be in their handwriting as they're limited to two fonts: a handwriting font and typewriter.  The author can attempt to sign their name in the signature field with their mouse, but it's going to come out a bit wonky because--let's face it, signing your name with a pen and a mouse are two totally different things.  Using a tablet would probably yield better results.

This is never going to be a replacement for an actual on-the-page signature by the author.  I got my girlfriend a signed copy of Survivor a couple birthdays ago and was amazed at how much care Chuck put into it:

Kindlegraph can't hold a candle to that, however, I can't deny this is a good idea that will only get better as more features are introduced: colors, fonts, and maybe even a way for the author to make a video autograph for tablet users.  I'm sure it'll develop as time goes on.

Go HERE to check out the tutorial video.

Author: Chuck Palahniuk
Price: $10.74
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company (2010)
Binding: Paperback, 289 pages

Comments

Christine Hnath's picture
Christine Hnath December 30, 2011 - 1:58pm

Palahniuk has the best book signings.  I have two of his books signed: Diary, which has a rubber-stamped "PRISON LIBRARY COPY" under his signature, and Lullaby, which has "To Stine [my nickname], break some bones! Love Chuck."  Not sure what it means, but I love it.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Perfidia December 30, 2011 - 2:07pm

This is pretty cool. I don't have my own book, but is there a way for me to sign up and personalize other people's books? I mean, if you have a book and it isn't already up there, what's to prevent someone from signing up and saying it is theirs?

kindlegraph's picture
kindlegraph from Seattle, WA December 30, 2011 - 4:31pm

Hi! I'm the creator of Kindlegraph.

Thanks for the post about the service. It is still very new and has several wrinkles to iron out but I'm happy to be able to provide a fun and easy way for authors and readers to connect.

Your inscription from Chuck Palahniuk is awesome and really demonstrates the power of a personalized message. Kindlegraph isn't quite there yet but I'm currently building more tools that will allow authors to create equally compelling inscriptions. For example, if an author draws his/her signature in the application then readers will see an animated version of that signature (e.g. http://www.kindlegraph.com/requests/13307).

Evan Jacobs, Founder

P.S. Josh: Since every book is tied to an author's Twitter handle, it is fairly easy to determine if the author is who he/she claims to be. I used to monitor every submission manually but that soon became overwhelming and so I now rely on the community of authors and readers to report any abuses. I can happily say that there have only been 3 incidences of misattributed books and they were all self-reported by users as mistakes.

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows December 30, 2011 - 11:55pm

Chuck Palahniuk is the only person I've ever had sign a book for me and I admit I don't think they can be topped. My friend attended a signing of his for me and I got the following:

Damned: "See You Post Apocalypse"

Fight Club: "You Manly Stud Man"

I didn't request her ask for anything specific - and the Fight Club was something she joked about doing that I never thought she'd do or him actually sign - but that little extra means the world.

As for non-authors I had Alison Haislip write: "Destroy All Zombies..."

and Heather Morris (shut it I like Glee) actually sent a letter along written as her character - to me that was a cool addition.

So basically I guess I'm saying, A) Wonderful idea with Kindlegraph, B) Giving more people the chance to have something personalized by an author they enjoy is great since we all don't live in big cities where many attend, and C) A great autograph to a fan is one of the best things in the world

Caleb J. Ross's picture
Caleb J. Ross from Kansas City, KS is reading on the toilet by himself December 31, 2011 - 3:08pm

As an author, I can see how this could be cool. There is a certain amount of ego associated with inscribing something. With that in mind, I will probably upload my books soon. But, as a reader, I'm not sure I understand the appeal. Perhaps I'm just not the target demographic.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Perfidia December 31, 2011 - 5:13pm

Thanks for commenting, Evan!