Daniel Radcliffe To Star In Film Adaptation of Joe Hill's 'Horns'

Daniel Radcliffe To Star In Joe Hill's 'Horns'

It was announced today that Daniel Radcliffe—best known for playing Harry Potter and romping around naked with a horse in Equus—will be taking the lead in the film based on Joe Hill's 2010 international bestseller Horns. Alexandre Aja (The Hills Have Eyes, Piranha 3D, Mirrors) is directing.

Radcliffe plays Ignatius, a man accused of killing his girlfriend. On the first anniversary of her death, Ig gets completely wasted...as you do when all your friends think you're a murder and rapist. When he wakes up, he has developed horns and the power to make people confess to things they'd rather not say. And by that, I mean serious sin type stuff, not "I can't stop staring at your unibrow" type stuff. In short, his morning-after makes any pain you've ever had after a big night look like Baby's First Hangover by Playskool.

Horns was Joe Hill's second novel. The author, who comes from the solid writerly stock of Stephen and Tabitha King, discusses his book in this video:

I read Hill's first book but haven't gotten around to Horns yet. Have you guys read it? If so, does Radcliffe seem like a good choice for the lead?

Author: Joe Hill
Price: $10.40
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks (2011)
Binding: Paperback, 416 pages
Kimberly Turner

News by Kimberly Turner

Kimberly Turner is an internet entrepreneur, DJ, editor, beekeeper, linguist, traveler, and writer. This either makes her exceptionally well-rounded or slightly crazy; it’s hard to say which. She spent a decade as a journalist and magazine editor in Australia and the U.S. and is now working (very, very slowly) on her first novel. She holds a B.A. in Creative Writing and an M.A. in Applied Linguistics and lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband, two cats, ten fish, and roughly 60,000 bees.

Comments

Bret Gammons's picture
Bret Gammons from [I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it.] is reading Whatever he has time for this week. July 13, 2012 - 6:14pm

I recently ordered Horns but have yet to receive it. The fact that a film is being made does move it up my reading list, though.

I really enjoyed Piranha 3-D and hope Horns is closer to that than Aja's other films.

J. Kirchner's picture
J. Kirchner from Chthon City is reading Crooked Little Vein, Warren Ellis July 13, 2012 - 6:33pm

Just finished this book. I'm interested to see how he does in a role where he's not potter. I did see lady in black and it was more like a ghost story with harry potter. the gotee and losing a bit of his english accent may help remove him from the child we all remember.

ReneeAPickup's picture
ReneeAPickup from Joshua Tree, CA is reading A truckload of books. July 13, 2012 - 6:39pm

I bought Horns awhile ago and haven't gotten around to it. I never got into the Harry Potter films, so it may not be as diffficult for me to see him in other roles.

JEFFREY GRANT BARR's picture
JEFFREY GRANT BARR from Central OR is reading Nothing but fucking Shakespeare, for the rest of my life July 13, 2012 - 6:58pm

I didn't like Horns. The concept was interesting, but the story was boring as hell. They should make 'Heart-Shaped Box'--that was a killer story and a good book.

Jeff's picture
Jeff from Florida is reading Big Book of Pulps July 14, 2012 - 7:08pm

I am envious of his writing method. Just crank the stereo to eleven and write. I wish!

EdVaughn's picture
EdVaughn from Louisville, Ky is reading a whole bunch of different stuff July 14, 2012 - 10:06pm

I loved Horns. It'll be interesting to see Radcliffe in a completely different role than Harry Potter.

Bret Gammons's picture
Bret Gammons from [I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it.] is reading Whatever he has time for this week. July 15, 2012 - 1:59am

Gosh, JGB. Just finished Horns; I really wanna know the books you think are interesting.

I got the impression that Horns would make a really good film and that a skillful adaptation could avoid some of the storytelling wrinkles of the novel.

Lawrence's picture
Lawrence from Dallas, Texas is reading Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King July 15, 2012 - 11:21am

I was a huge fan of Horns. I have enjoyed everything I've read by Hill especially 20th century Ghost.

I think Hills best work to date so far has been his comic book series Locke and Key though. If you have enjoyed his novels or short stories do your self and order the first book from Locke and Key called Welcome To Lovecraft. It is an amazing piece of work. Book five just came out last Wednesday.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Lexington, Kentucky is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated July 15, 2012 - 8:35pm

Wow he looks like his Dad.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. July 17, 2012 - 12:55am

I haven't read Horns yet because I though Heart Shaped Box was pretty rubbish. So very predictable.

Is Horns better then?

Jimmy Bagodonuts Butler's picture
Jimmy Bagodonut... August 10, 2012 - 10:50am

Horns is a great read... I think they'll make a pretty sweet movie out of it... but i also think Joseph Gordon Leviett or however you spell it would play a better Ig...