sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres August 28, 2012 - 4:02pm

I'm a little sad that I didn't give myself a thumbs up.  I thought about it, but it just didn't seem right.  Damn morals!

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson August 28, 2012 - 4:14pm

Ditto, Sean! It didn't look like other people were, so I didn't.

Scott MacDonald's picture
Scott MacDonald from UK is reading Perfidia August 28, 2012 - 11:39pm

@Emma - Yeah, I noticed the weird thumbs down thing without comments.  I wasn't sure whether it was being done deliberately on the site now that the competitions over to give everyone a chance of being on the home page or whether someone has started randomly clicking thumbs down without even reading the stories, just because they think it's 'hilarious'.  At least it happened after the competition closed down.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff August 29, 2012 - 1:38am

Yeah, my story was just a first draft, so I had no chance anyway.

I still think though that the thumbs system gives a lot of room for cheating, or just fuck up. I can't think of a better way now, voting has never been my cup of tea.

Very funny contest however, I wish July and August hadn't been the busiest months of my life.

Congrats to the winners, and to all those who had fun and learned something in the competition!

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland August 29, 2012 - 7:46pm

@Emma, mine also got a thumbs down shortly after the results.  I understand that some people are not going to like my story. i just really wish they would tell me why so i can improve it.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. August 29, 2012 - 9:30pm

I doubt they read it.  I'm assuming it's just someone being a jerk.

Sancho LeStache's picture
Sancho LeStache from El Paso is reading Hunger August 29, 2012 - 10:43pm

don't worry about it, dude. your story was fucking great, and it really was probably just someone being a bitter asshole.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters August 30, 2012 - 5:00am

Yeah.  The thing with the voting.

You can't see who voted what.  But that doesn't mean I can't see who voted what.  And when it was voted.  I can't see the reasons deep in the heart of the voter, yet

But safe to say that while life is not perfect or fair, I could see if one person just voted for themselves over and over (was that even possible?) or whatever.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. August 30, 2012 - 8:58am

You can see that I voted for myself over and over?  I mean... if I voted for myself over and over... oh oh.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland August 30, 2012 - 9:20am

Naw I ain't worried. Just backing up my homegirl Emma. I think the whole challenge was a smashing success. Couldn't be happier.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson August 30, 2012 - 9:35am

@averydoll Thanks for the insight. I think this was about learning and growing for a lot of us, so it is frustrating to see that someone found fault with a piece but didn't explain why, the very thing that helps us get better. I gave some negative reviews which in turn became great dialogues between me and the writer. THAT is what was do great about this challenge: the sense of community, helping and supporting each other.

I thought it was great fun and look forward to reading more from everyone involved. It was amazing to see the horror that so many "not-horror-writers" could come up with. Thanks to everyone who participated, particularly everyone who read mine (whether or not you voted/commented/liked it)!

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch August 31, 2012 - 2:55pm

I could have voted for myself, you mean? Did I even try? I don't remember. Anyway, it was my first horror story but I regret submitting it so late.

M.E.Prince's picture
M.E.Prince from Georgia is reading A Stir of Echoes August 31, 2012 - 3:10pm

Ditto. I really wish I'd submitted earlier, but I'm also thinking my blurb and title were a bit too blah to attract readers. On the bright side, I did get a couple of useful reviews, got practice I needed, and had fun.

EDIT: Err... To attract people to read it in the first place, I mean. I'm not blaming my shortcomings as a writer on an uninteresting blurb.

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres August 31, 2012 - 3:29pm

@Avery/Jessica: I'm a little disappointed.  All this time I thought you could see into our hearts and minds, see our deepest and darkest fears and desires.

Sorry Jessica, you may have just fallen a peg.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters August 31, 2012 - 3:53pm

Well, I didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce August 31, 2012 - 4:46pm

This is some of the best news I've had all week (also found out I don't have breast cancer, so litreactor comes a close second to that!).

Fun competition. I enjoyed writing for it and reviewing. Like a few people, I wish I hadn't snuck in at the 11th hour, but hey, I'm still pleased with how it went! I'm looking forward to getting my feedback from Joe.

With all this thumbs down talk...I didn't think the thumbs up/downs even counted towards whether your story would be considered for a prize. Or did I misunderstand?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters August 31, 2012 - 5:17pm

Jess - CONGRATULATIONS!!  That is great news!

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce August 31, 2012 - 5:25pm

Thanks :D

I can stop sitting around in bed crying, and eating chips for every meal. I knew I wasn't actually truly depressed when I had the will to eat wait... you guys in the US call them crisps, yeah? Those things, I could still eat those things! Now I have no excuse, and need to get off my arse and back to the gym, the outside world... etc.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland August 31, 2012 - 6:20pm

@Mess Jess, happy to hear you are going to be with us (forever?) (indfinitely?) That's really great news. You're an imortal chip eater. We call them chips in the U.S., or atleast here in the south we do. Crisps are like a cracker chip hybrid.

@sean maybe she can't see into our hearts but i'm pretty sure she's tapped into our webcams and is watching us always. Freaky how much she knows.

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres August 31, 2012 - 6:21pm

@Jess: i don't think we call them crisps in the US, i think we call them either chips or fries, depending on what you are eating.  However, what we in the US call "the outside world" is actually called the internet.  Also, congrats on the clean bill of health.  All joking aside, that's really good news!

@Jess(ica): didn't you read my answers to the still alive in august thing?  I want to be made to feel uncomfortable, and I expect YOU to bring this feeling to me, what with you being the gatekeeper of LitReactor and all (or are you the keymaster?)

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland August 31, 2012 - 6:27pm

Actually she probably was talking about fries.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters August 31, 2012 - 6:43pm

Sure, sure.  They all say it's what they want...

HEY!  Tomorrow is September!

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres August 31, 2012 - 6:51pm

Does this look like the face of someone who would lie to you?  I fully expect at least one unnerving question when the new monthly questionairre comes out.  I really won't be that disappointed if there isn't one, but i'll pretend I am for at least an hour or two.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson August 31, 2012 - 6:58pm

@Jess Congratulations! Glad you're in the clear. I have been sleeping all day and eating nothing but Nutella and rice cakes for the past week. I have no excuse.

In the US "chips" are flat, deep fried crispy potato medallions that come in a sack from the supermarket. In the UK they're called "crisps". I call them crisps too, to be eccentric.

"Fries" are long fried potato wedges, usually served hot, often with hamburgers. In the UK they're called "chips" and often served in newsprint with battered fish, causing confusion for visiting Americans. I like to call them "frites", which is I think French or German, because it's way more fun. Also to be eccentric.

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch August 31, 2012 - 7:35pm

I thought we all agreed to call all of those junk food.

Scott MacDonald's picture
Scott MacDonald from UK is reading Perfidia September 1, 2012 - 12:37am

@Jess - Good news all round - glad to hear that you're well.

Michael J. Riser's picture
Michael J. Riser from El Cerrito, CA (originally), now Fort Worth, TX is reading The San Veneficio Canon - Michael Cisco, The Croning - Laird Barron, By the Time We Leave Here, We'll Be Friends - J. David Osborne September 1, 2012 - 2:56pm

Glad to hear you're well, Jess. That's certainly the best gift anyone can ask for in that kind of worrisome situation. High five!

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz September 2, 2012 - 6:14pm

Congrats to all the winners!

Jess - that's great news.

Fries, chips, frites & crisps. I celebrate them all.

Edit to say: Because of this thread, I peeled my corpse off the couch and drove down to this newish (to us) place called Amsterdam Falafel and got myself a paper cone of frites and drenched that shit in mayo to conjure up cloudy memories of vacations past. Damn that was good.

See how this contest keeps providing victory after victory?

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. September 3, 2012 - 12:24pm

@ Jess - Sounds like you lived through a real horror competition.  I'm thrilled for you.  Now write about it and scare our pants off.

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons September 4, 2012 - 8:47pm

So who won? I was hoping to scroll to the end to see.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland September 4, 2012 - 9:03pm

@Coverwriter. Jane Wiseman got the top prize for "Hatch." Jessica (Averydoll) wrote a great article with all the winners you should check it out.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce September 6, 2012 - 2:55pm

Thanks everyone! Back after a few days of termperamental internet. And now craving deep fried potatoes of all names...

I just checked my critique from Joe. Boy, did I get my rather ample arse served to me on a plate! Hehe. As they say, don't get angry, get better at it!.Time to do a massive redraft.

I wonder if there will be another competition like this in another genre. Averydoll - do your sources say anything on this?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters September 6, 2012 - 6:58pm

My sources say that is...a possibility.  And not a far-fetched one.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. September 8, 2012 - 11:38am

Got my critique from Suzy V.  Now I really want to take her class.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson September 8, 2012 - 10:26pm

The critiques up so far have been so interesting to read! Once again, this has been a rad learning experience.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. September 20, 2012 - 10:16am

I crave more announcements.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson September 20, 2012 - 12:28pm

Scott MacDonald and I just got ours for "Follow the Leader" and "Crystal", respectively. I am giddy.

Scott MacDonald's picture
Scott MacDonald from UK is reading Perfidia September 20, 2012 - 12:40pm

Wow, just got my first prize feedback.  Very pleased with it.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry November 10, 2012 - 5:35pm

Is there a reason this thread is still sticky?  Until this moment, no one's posted on it for seven weeks.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters November 10, 2012 - 5:44pm

Happy?

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry November 10, 2012 - 7:30pm

I am!

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres April 29, 2013 - 10:15am

Super excited, I heard the first wave of winner's feedback is starting. I'm looking forward to seeing what a published author has to say about my story...

wait, what's that? That's the feedback for TELEPORT US stories that is starting to come through? Oh, okay, my mistake. I must have misheard. I'll just keep waiting patiently...

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 29, 2013 - 12:36pm

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 29, 2013 - 12:55pm