avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 5, 2012 - 8:53am

@Howie - I'm bad at sending out my stuff too.  I don't like doing simultaneous submissions.  It makes me antsy.

spence's picture
spence from planet is reading Books March 5, 2012 - 9:36am

Do it anyway

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading East of Eden, by John Steinbeck March 5, 2012 - 9:42am

I agree with Earthworm Jim here, I hate submitting but it's a must.

I've probably badgered JennyMag with 20 poems and several short stories this week. This morning I submitted a flash fiction piece to Word Riot, and even tossed some throw aways to a few Tumblr blogs.

My problem is laziness really, but my goal this year is to make it into at least ChiZine and Word Riot.

Bekanator's picture
Bekanator from Kamloops, British Columbia is reading I'll Never Go Away Vol. II March 5, 2012 - 10:08am

2011 was the first year I spent really getting into making submissions.  It really wasn't so bad, but I found that constant state of anxiousness sort of daunting, mainly because I always got myself so pent up for nothing, and even when I expected rejection it was still a tirade of angst.  I haven't submitted anything yet this year; I want to get back in and familiarize myself with being a writer again.

Right now I'm trying to stock up my library again, though.  And I'm trying to take up less time drafting my stories.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. March 5, 2012 - 12:03pm

My cover letter looks something like this:

Dear Litreactor,

Please enjoy the enclosed story, "Horsepower".  I know where you live.  It's a fictional account of a real-life incident that occured in Washington state.  I'm not threatening you, I'm just saying that the digital age has allowed access to many things you'd like to keep personal.  I wrote it a few years ago, but have been working on it to get the facts just right.  I don't need a gun.

I feel that this story will fit well with your magazine because of the impressive literary risks you continually take.  A knife would be too easy.  Some of the greatest stories I've read lately have come from your pages.  How's your wife, Anna?

Even if my story doesn't fit your current needs, I appreciate the time you've given to reading it and, hopefully, commented on.  Anything can be a weapon in the right hands.  I look forward to hearing back from you.  Not killing you.

Sincerely,

Bryan "Death is a sweet release" Howie

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Horns March 5, 2012 - 12:13pm

Good Sex, Great Prayers is happening.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 5, 2012 - 12:33pm

Congratz Brandon. Long time, no see. Good to see you pluggin along still.

Fylh's picture
Fylh from from from is reading is from is reading is reading is reading reading is reading March 5, 2012 - 12:38pm

:D

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks March 5, 2012 - 1:03pm

sweet, brandon. glad to hear it. we may be family again real soon.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 7, 2012 - 1:47am

anyone here publish at Daily Science Fiction yet? They look pretty cool and pay well.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 7, 2012 - 3:04am

Holy crap, they pay 8 cents a word and up to 10K words.  So you could make 800 dollars a story??!!  That's insane.  They must have a really high quality of standards to be handing out that much cash though.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 7, 2012 - 3:12am

They also pay like an extra 5 cents a word for having your work in one of their anthologies. They are a SFWA market. The writing is good but not what I'd consider out of my league. I just noticed it paid well and I've been reading the stories for awhile. Wondered if anyone had any experience with them.

Edit: they also need a lot of flash around 1000 words. That's like 80 bucks or more for a story. They accept fantasy too.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. March 7, 2012 - 3:25am

Just remembered something I wrote a long time ago - a fantasy story!  It was for a RPG called Arcana Unearthed.  The story is called The Dreamwalker.  It's only available using the internet wayback machine, so you have to give it a second to load.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 7, 2012 - 3:23am

I might be able to do a flash of sci-fi safely.  I don't feel as confident in the sci-fi zone as I do with horror.  80 bucks ain't shabby either. I love paying markets!

I also found this the other night:

They pay 5 cents per word, each month is themed though but at least they list their themes months in advance.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Song of Kali March 7, 2012 - 11:07am

So, I'm still waiting for a confirmation on the acceptance of my zomebie story "White Light, White Heat" (they wanted some editorial changes before accepting it), but I'm happy to announce that in addition to that, Dark River Press just accepted my short story "A Song For John".

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks March 7, 2012 - 11:15am

^nice. congrats, Typo

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 7, 2012 - 11:16am

Yes Congratz!!!

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Song of Kali March 7, 2012 - 11:21am

Just goes to show to those of you still in the unpublished trenches- make this shit happen.

JIMMYMAC's picture
JIMMYMAC from Floridelphia or that this genius (unnecessary comma ahead) is reading The Narcissism Epidemic because I have this "friend" who's either a narcissist or just an asshole March 7, 2012 - 12:14pm

Hi Whores,

If you don't think there's anything funny about addiction, depression, and psychosis, well, then you're probably an addict, depressed, or psychotic. And you obviously haven't read my blog, that is being converted into a memoir.

It's sad. It's funny. It's introspective. It's fucked up.

The Nitty Gritty is about my psychotic episode.

The Patron Saint of...Whatever is about my time in a mental health facility.

Here's 2  sample chapters.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading East of Eden, by John Steinbeck March 7, 2012 - 2:53pm

Anybody wondering who Joseph Kony is?

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 8, 2012 - 2:35pm

great author interviews coming up with a new mag that is launching soon. Be part of the action and check out Curiouser & Curiouser on facebook and hit like to stay updated. i have an interview coming up and i talk about all kinds of interesting things including Avery's jumblies!

that's all folks!

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 9, 2012 - 12:48pm

i hope you're still interested in her jumblies this summer, the site isn't going to start posting interviews until may ;)

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 9, 2012 - 1:43pm

They are totally obsessed and they can wait.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. March 10, 2012 - 5:26pm

BRYAN HOWIE IS A VERY BAD MAN. HIS BUDDY, HUNTER, IS A VERY BAD MAN.

Just saying.

Alternatively, this might be the best story you read all year. Depends on your constitution. Solarcide just grew some balls.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 10, 2012 - 5:40pm

Sweet Jesus everyone head to solarcide! Omg!

That said, must be a sick ass story. will check it out on Sunday. Shiz like that should always be read on a Sunday.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. March 10, 2012 - 7:08pm

Cake for Nikki

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 10, 2012 - 7:17pm

I loooove cake! But only as long as it's gluten free ; p

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. March 10, 2012 - 7:35pm

Nope. Pure gluten cake. Comes from Germany.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 10, 2012 - 7:37pm

Shit. I had to give up those German spice cookies and I was sooo upset. I used to sit and eat a package everyday for like a week when they came out at trader joes around christmas.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 10, 2012 - 8:02pm

Bryan should write horse erotica for a living, that was awesome lol

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. March 10, 2012 - 8:13pm

Go on then, Danny. You can have some cake too.

But that's it. The rest of the cake is mine. Screw you guys.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Song of Kali March 11, 2012 - 2:34pm

"White Light, White Heat" is going to be featured in the spring issue of Pulp Modern. I'll whore it again when it goes live (this one actually comes in print).

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. March 12, 2012 - 10:49am

Nice one Bill. You are on somewhat of a roll eh? Good to see.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 12, 2012 - 11:00am

Congratz, Bill.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 12, 2012 - 11:08am

And congrats, Howie and Co., for writing something I found to be pretty disurbing.  And delightful.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. March 12, 2012 - 1:33pm

Thanks.  Please, leave a comment beneath the story and/or at the facebook page.  Share the link with other sick fucks.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 12, 2012 - 4:39pm

Oh this I have to check out when I'm home later tonight. I think Howie is going to give me a run for my money.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Song of Kali March 13, 2012 - 9:09am

@Martin- yeah its been a pretty slutty month for me! I hope it continues. Will def check out the new Solarcide post and leave a comment.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks March 13, 2012 - 5:57pm

My latest Storyville column is up. It's about how to get an agent. Like I know.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 14, 2012 - 12:52pm

Bitchin Vans & Bloody Hippies just went live at www.thundadome.com it's a "two dudes" story and takes place after they get back from their wanderings in Sick Ticket which was in LA1K. Anyhow check it out while I'm checking out Howie's story at solarcide. :-)

Thx!!!

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. March 14, 2012 - 1:17pm

Boom. I will be all over that soon, Nikki. Loved Sick Ticket.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 14, 2012 - 1:27pm

wooo hooo! thx martin!

SConley's picture
SConley from Texas is reading Perfidia March 14, 2012 - 1:41pm

I wish i would have written a followup too but i never got around to it. I think a vacation got in my way.

Nick's picture
Nick from Toronto is reading A Million Little Fibers by Steven McTowelie March 15, 2012 - 10:52pm

A portion of one of my stories is up at Word Riot under flash fiction:

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Horns March 15, 2012 - 11:07pm

Love it, sir.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks March 16, 2012 - 9:32am

nicely done, nick. congrats

Nick's picture
Nick from Toronto is reading A Million Little Fibers by Steven McTowelie March 16, 2012 - 9:43am

Thanks guys.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading East of Eden, by John Steinbeck March 16, 2012 - 1:14pm

Everyone in this forum should go vote Clevenger's "Smoke & Mirrors" as the most wanted project over at IndieWire, seriously it takes 15 seconds. Do it.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 17, 2012 - 5:27am

Well it's not for writing but I did just got a message from Bishop's Hair Salon and they are interested in me modeling for their next advertising campaign in April. So that's pretty cool. They are a chain of rockin hair salons in in the Portland area. Even the mayor Sam Adams gets his hair cut there. So you know it's gotta be cool. Heh heh. Now If only I could get a spot on Portlandia and Grimm then all my dreams would come true. Riiiight.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks March 17, 2012 - 10:25am

^sweet! congrats.